Featured It pays to do your research

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by vintagerobin, Mar 10, 2017.

1. vintagerobin

vintagerobin Well-Known Member

I recently listed a bunch of military and related pins. I had done a little research on them and didn't find much.

Tonight someone sent a message asking about one specific pin. I decided to try to find some info on it again. I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/550th-Airbo...534121?hash=item4b0d878ba9:g:434AAOSwo4pYRJ7r

Same pin. For $268. I had it listed in a lot for $20 opening bid.

I thanked the person asking about the pin and relisted it on its own. I'm excited to see how it does.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152467958976?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Nice!
    I have a pin and the same one sold for well over $100. Two fought for it. Odd thing is the loser came back and offered me half. I didn't sell.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. vintagerobin

Now I'm going to make sure the rest of the lot I listed aren't more valuable.

Especially one other pin that has a winged wheel in the center and a lightning bolt. It's in this pic.

1.jpg

pearlsnblume, judy and KingofThings like this.
  4. KingofThings

Wow!

5. KingofThings

Not certain but maybe airborne artillary support?

6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

US $25.50 International shipping for a badge ??
    I guess you don`t want to sell outside the US .

KingofThings likes this.
  7. vintagerobin

It's difficult to get that international shipping correct when I have a small valuable item. I had to add $3 to cover insurance costs for shipping within the US and set the weight a little high too. I'm also using the Global shipping program because 1st Class international doesn't offer insurance. It's not perfect but I can't afford to lose an item in the mail.

I changed it to direct Priority. See if that made a difference. At least with Priority I'll have insurance.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

Wow, well done and good luck with the auction!

As for shipping, I tend to purposely over estimate my overseas shipping because I've been stung quite a few times... and I reimburse any excess might have be paid. I've found that UK postage for overseas is more complicated than eBay can cope with!

KingofThings and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I don't buy from anyone who uses GSP. It's a total rip off for both buyer and seller.

Why not use third party insurance? Much cheaper.

10. vintagerobin

The third party offered on eBay doesn't offer coverage on 1st Class International.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

It does for me. I use Shipsaver on eBay and it's cheap and covers loss as well. There a just a few areas it doesn't cover, like Russia.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

And good luck with your pin, I hope you do well with it.:)

KingofThings likes this.
  13. vintagerobin

Also, I
    I get Shipcover on mine. And every time I've checked, it didn't cover Ist Class.

Thanks for the luck!

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Believe me, shipping costs are no big deal for international buyers who want an item. I don't ship internationally anymore. Great find, good luck!

15. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I have used InsurePost / Shipsurance for years now with no problems & they cover 1st class international. I have had an international claim with a shipment to China & was reimbursed for the full amount. I will admit it took some time to finally get it completed, but I think it had more to do with making the buyer understand what type of authentication was needed for me to get my money.

KingofThings and pearlsnblume like this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The piece on the left looks like a sweetheart piece or some kind of pure fantasy piece. The one on the right is Artillery off someone's Class As. The piece in the middle is probably the money. I think it's Intelligence, just don't ask me which outfit. Try digging around here if you have a loooong time on your hands. http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Search.aspx

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have enameled pins from my mother, father, brother and uncles and I've put them away for my kids and nieces & nephews. Methinks I'll put values in the box so they don't think the pins are rubbish.

18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Good idea. The uninitiated wouldn't know what unit insignia was.

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  19. vintagerobin

I sent a message to the website I came across that told me what I had. He said the second pin is 61st Coastal Artillery. It's only a $15 pin at best but that's probably more than I would get without id'ing it.

I thought the piece on the left was similar to a sons in the service piece but may just be a fantasy piece like you say.

KingofThings likes this.
  20. vintagerobin

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the help and the well wishes. :)

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted