Italian Ceramic Tile Age

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by NewEngland, Jul 18, 2019.

1. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I bought this sweet little framed tile because it reminds me of 19th century silhouette portraits which I love. I wonder if it might be from Italy, because of the gilded wooden frame. There is a faint signature on the back panel but I can’t read it. It’s small, about 5.5 x 6.5”. The pottery tile has some brown marks, maybe burns from the firing? I tried to clean them but I don’t want to use any strong cleaners. It has a closed back so I can’t see the back of the tile to see if there are any stamps. Any thoughts on age?

tileportraitA.JPG tileportraitback.JPG tileportraitA.JPG tileportraitback.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Think you're right. Good comparison.

Debora

SBSVC and NewEngland like this.
  4. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

judy and SBSVC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted