Featured Italian pottery mark firework or starburst?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gauntlettgems, Nov 11, 2022.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

E8D23488-B9D0-41D1-BDB6-9654EE37B29B.jpeg B65BC865-E1B0-4CE9-8538-5370CDBF509D.jpeg 3D89F590-39C1-4186-A178-8061DE75CE34.jpeg DFBC40DF-E060-4342-A35B-ABE0CD9FB28E.jpeg
    Hi guys,
    I’ve tried searching but I don’t know how to describe this mark. I got 3 of these lovely plates. I don’t know if it’s just because I am Italian that I love this stuff but…

Any help is very much appreciated

thank you

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The shooting star mark was used in the town of Nove, NE Italy (not far from Venice). I don't know if it was used elsewhere as well, so let's wait for the others.

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Italian ceramic expert Walter Del Pellegrino is gone now, but his expertise lives on. This is quoted from a post he made in the eBay forums back in 2017. The item photos posted in the request had a painted mark like the one on yours, @gauntlettgems . However, the item itself is not like yours. Here is Walter's post:

"The symbol of the comet or shooting star (depending upon who you ask) has been used by the town of Nove for several centuries. It appears on store fronts of both pottery and non-pottery store. On ceramics the symbol has appeared on works by Agnostelli & Dal Pra and again by the separate companies of the Dal Pra family. The logo has been used, in various forms, by many other studios in Nove but the most well known is that of the Barettoni factory of Nove. In 1911 Barettoni purchased both the building and trademark rights of the Antonibon studio. Lodovico Antonibon started his company in 1727 and it remained open until 1896. It was one of the most famous potteries in Europe. I believe, with a fair amount of conviction, that this beautiful vase precedes the Barettoni acquistion and is an example of Antibon's art and dates some time from the mid 1850's to 1880.

"Note that the vase lacks identifying the country of origin- "Made in Italy"- as required by the 1891 McKinley Tariff Act or British laws of the 1800's. The floral pattern, originally created at the Antibon factory, is known as the Nove Rose. The snake handles were crafted individually crafted and applied to the body of the vase using liquified clay as a glue.

"The workmanship and artistry are apparent. Value is quite another matter. Try buying the vase in Italy and you will discover you need deep pockets. In the U.S. try to find someone who has heard of Lodovico Antonibon. Good luck. I would love to learn the results."

Walter Del Pellegrino

Link to original thread, which also includes comments by others who belong to Antiquers.
    https://community.ebay.com/t5/Potte...nd-age-on-this-Italian-majolica/td-p/27483177

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

These are from Walter's book, From Cantagalli to Fornasetti. The "star" seems to have a different number of points and there was even a decorator that used a more star like star.

20221111_110423.jpg 20221111_110451.jpg 20221111_110438.jpg

5. gauntlettgems

So sorry to hear he is gone. He obviously loved this type of pottery. Thank you for the place to start my search!! I love this stuff

i think my plates have some age to them

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

If you enter 'Italian pottery' in the search bar at the top of the page, you'll probably find his comments and explanations.

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. gauntlettgems

Cool! I did not know that.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted