Italian Pottery Plate Cockerel Mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, May 9, 2016.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I know that there are tons of fake Cantagalli roosters but never found online reference with the correct marks. I guess Walter has them in his book :) "Italy" but not "Italia" makes it post 1921 but no idea when and by who.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I have Walter's book and this does not look like any of the marks he shows. The top of your mark appears much different.

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Does he show only Cantagalli roosters? As far as I know other makers also used similar marks but don't who they are.

lauragarnet likes this.
  4. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

In Walter's books, the only other maker that used a rooster is Galvani and it looks nothing like yours. Your mark is closer to Cantagalli.

lauragarnet likes this.
  5. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

I don't believe the plate was produced by the Cantagalli factory, however, there may be an historical connection. In the 1930's the Cantagalli family sold the business and the trademark to a former employee, Amerigo Menegatti. By the 1950's the company was in financial trouble and as a result quality suffered greatly. The firm survived for another fifty years or so.
    It is possible that your plate is from the Menegatti studio of the 1950's but any Cantagalli connection is weak at best.

Draft saved Draft deleted