It's time again for "let's play a game"!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Jun 22, 2021.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Good evening everyone! It's that time again for let's play a game!

Another game for those that are interested, if you choose to play, please be sure to do your best to follow the rules so we don't spoil it for others. Here is a refresher for those that have played before, and for those that are trying for the first time, here we go:

1. Look at the photos for any valuable indicators/clues that these could be good/bad
    2. Use your intuition, or search engine skills, or any other piece of info you need to try to figure out if these are worth your time.
    3. Consider the following question: with only the info above and the photos below, do you have the gambling spirit to pay $50 for the group?

Here's how to respond once you've looked at the photos and any research:

1. Rank the items you like from best to worst in the photos
    2. Offer up any hints/clues to others without giving too much away
    3. If you don't like the group, fill us in on what you see or don't see

Good luck!!! After everyone that wants to play has a chance to answer, I'll provide some more details. Here's the photos you have to work with:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

cxgirl likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I like the wine coaster...

bobsyouruncle, cxgirl and MrNate like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Am I blind tonight? Which piece is the wine coaster?

MrNate likes this.
  4. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Bakersgma, I think komokwa was talking about this piece:

Capture.JPG

cxgirl likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The one with the wooden base is a wine coaster.

I like that pierced work candy dish. A lot. Looks German. Maybe the sugar tongs.

Willing to be surprised about: the carafe in the middle of the photo (it's something by Somebody) and the square thing that looks like a frame.
    Things Ruthie no like: the serving bowl with the lid, the trivet, the condiment holder thingie, that candy dish with the moving handle and the carafe on the left.

MrNate likes this.
  6. komokwa

isn't that called a wine coaster........???
    some are plated...some sterling......i can't tell from the pic.....even so........there's 50 bucks of value in this group..........at least !.....;)

MrNate likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I guess it is. But the picture doesn't provide a good 3D view to see depth to my eyes so it looks flat like some kind of plate. The round thing in the middle is weird too. Don't think I have ever seen a bottle coaster with a wooden bottom (not that I could tell that it's wood.)

MrNate likes this.
  8. evelyb30

I've seen lots of them. Most are wood and pewter and occasionally silverplate. That one is really thickly cast; I'd be thinking Wilton-style alloy or pewter.

kyratango and MrNate like this.
  9. komokwa

[​IMG]
    old shelf plate..looks the same,,,

cxgirl and MrNate like this.
  10. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I would put my money on the the larger bowl up front and the lacy candy dish. They went and polished everything so no tarnish clues. Shame on them.

cxgirl, Tanya, Houseful and 1 other person like this.
  11. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I like this. It seems more finely detailed than the others. But it’s just a guess : -) F346B59F-9608-4D37-8D8A-F0EE4944834B.jpeg

12. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I like the pieces Tanya circled and the front right hand side dish with the fancy edge.

13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

yea, I'm not to late to play:)
    yes, I'd be in for $50
    #1 the pierced piece in front of the pitcher or syrup
    #2 the condiment dishes in front of #1
    #3 the decanter, wide bottom
    #4 the large dish in front, right side, has a different sheen to it?

I can't figure out what that piece is next to the decanter, maybe a soap dish or some sort of dish?

MrNate likes this.
  14. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the guesses, you all showed some real brilliance in your analysis of this group I was incredibly impressed. Spoiler alert, reveal is below:

So let me start by telling you what caught my eye and how I applied my strategy. The pierced dish was the piece that caught my eye, and that's all I really needed. @evelyb30 I definitely felt the same German style on the piece. For me, this one piece was enough to take the gamble on the lot. My logic was the one piece (if silver) would cover the cost of the group, and anything else was a bonus. So I got lucky, because I ended up with three silver pieces. Here's the photos (pierced bowl is Hazorfim). I was hoping I would get lucky and the crystal decanter would be silver, but it's silverplate italian:

IMG_9587.JPG

IMG_9588.JPG

IMG_9590.JPG

IMG_9593.JPG

IMG_9594.JPG

IMG_9595.JPG

IMG_9596.JPG

IMG_9599.JPG

cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  15. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

you done good Mr Nate, that is a nice return on your investment:) The pierced dish is lovely, I totally ignored the piece from Mexico, was surprised to see it was silver.
    Thanks for the game Mr Nate, these are fun:)

Tanya and MrNate like this.
  16. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you cxgirl :) :)

cxgirl likes this.
  17. evelyb30

I'm surprised by that Mexican piece, but this shows why I always check the bottom just in case. In person anyway! Hazorfim is an Israeli outfit; I recognized the name. They make mostly Judaica.

https://hazorfim.com/en/

MrNate likes this.
  18. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I got surprised by the Mexican piece too! I thought the tone looked nice when I first saw it, but the pierced piece was really the big factor to me. So when it had the small/hard to read 925 mark I got very excited because that certainly changed the value of the group...

19. evelyb30

I recognized the design right off, but I was very surprised by whodunnit. Maybe it was part of a Havdalah set or the like. I'd love to find a big sterling Challah platter, naturally. Did find part of a Seder set in Portuguese silver once, only recognizable if you knew what it was. It wasn't marked other than the silver marks underneath. Sold it locally.

MrNate likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted