I've been thrifting again! Is this Homer Laughlin China?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Elen Beattie, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hi all. I picked up this little dish today (5"Lx3.25"Wx2"H) along with a bunch of other things and was curious to know what age it might be and who made it. When I search 'HLC' it come up with Homer Laughlin China (although there is a lot of info about the Fiesta ware!). I can't find a stamp like this one relating to the factory in my searching. I have checked Replacements but can't see anything similar. Also, it looks like there is a coat-of-arms type design on it with 'ROCC'- any ideas? Thanks!

image0 (65).jpeg image1 (48).jpeg image2 (40).jpeg

KSW likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Laughlin made a fair amount of "restaurant" ware. That's what I think this piece is. The CC at the end could be for "country club."

pearlsnblume and Danijela Pope like this.
  3. Elen Beattie

Ah, that makes sense thank you! I can only find stamped inked marks and nothing pressed like this so I can't figure out a date for it :pompous:

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It looks like the logo for River Oaks Country Club. I did find a reference for laughlin that was H L Co but I don't see the "o," on yours.

https://www.riveroakscc.net/

5. Bakersgma

HLC (no o) is in Lehner's index.

pearlsnblume and Elen Beattie like this.
  6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

7. Bakersgma

Same place as SiS linked above.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

9. Bakersgma

Yup. That is a more commonly seen stamp than the incised initials.

10. Bakersgma

BTW, this shape looks like a flatware holder, often for spoons.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  11. Elen Beattie

Thanks, I had no idea! The club was founded in 1923 so at least I know that it's no older than the 20s :shame:

12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I should have included these. I see the HLC mentioned in Lehner's index but in the marks shown I only see the stylized HLC along the lines of this one.
    IMG_20210306_205543.jpg

Debolt's has the mark that to me looks closer. (Except for the o):)
    img20210306_210156.jpg

13. Elen Beattie

This is great thank you!

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted