Featured Ivory 3-Dragon Ball 7 or 8 Loose Levels; How to Fix Age?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by wlwhittier, Jul 23, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I couldn't get a good pic of all the loose levels, but counted 7, with another strongly hinted. ~2½" diameter, ~74 grams. There are 6 eyes, so must be 3 dragons...but the carving is so convoluted I can't even see how many claws they may have. The second level in from the surface remains attached in numerous places, but all others within are loose. I feel confident it's not resin, nor cast. This came from the same aunt (Mom's sister) as the red coral I posted a couple months ago. I would sure like to know how these are made...how long it takes the artisan to accomplish such a puzzle. Any of you have a clue?
    Thanks for lookin'!

fullsizeoutput_9ac8.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9ac7.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9ac6.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9ac5.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9ac4.jpeg

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Not sure how long it would take,but this video has the process about half way through.

3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Thanks, Hollyblue! Very illuminating!

kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

5. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Those be carved puzzle balls. No way someone could cast those undercuts.. in resin or anything else. Mind-boggling! It makes you wonder where people get the time and inspiration.. like carving the Lords Prayer on a pin- head. I can't even get my dishwasher unloaded.

NanaB, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted