Featured Ivory baby seal - is it? Also signature help.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by aaroncab, Dec 30, 2019.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Having a heck of a time figuring out what this is made of - I think there's a chance it's ivory - it's very smoothly polished. With a strong light, there are some lines which look like cracks - seems to be some other texture visible (hard to get photos of) under magnification too, but no schraeger lines - I know that not all ivory has them. At first I thought it might be some kind of plastic but it feels harder than plastic would be - no mold lines, it's not glass or porcelain as it doesn't feel cold enough for that. It's signed down by the tail - hopefully someone will recognize the siggy/name.

3.25 inches (8.25 cm) in length - weighs 2.5 ounces (71 grams).

49301703168_cc6052371f_4kdev.jpg 49302400237_47a949931b_4kdev.jpg 49301702513_cc23de78e2_4kdev.jpg 49301703148_a1b4266dd3_4kdev.jpg 49302400712_479be56a04_4kdev.jpg 49302188011_aff95b953f_4kdev.jpg 49301702658_091302e737_4kdev.jpg 49301702653_1011e8c0be_4kdev.jpg 49302401632_31834116b5_4kdev.jpg
    49301703583_cbf18d9ac8_4kdev.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Too big to be vegetable ivory, so maybe whale tooth or walrus? (although it looks more like something man-made)

3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

This looks familiar - especially that color...

The scribing doesn't look like ivory. More like resin.

@komokwa?

4. scoutshouse

5. aaroncab

The color actually looks more consistent and more saturated in the pictures than in real life - it isn't as deeply yellowed as the pictures make out, and there are areas that are whiter - also there are internal fractures /lines not really visible in the pictures which make me think not resin - but agree about the sig appearing resin-y perhaps. Sorry I'm blaming the pics - I'll try to get pics in sunlight in the morning.

6. aaroncab

After looking some more - the lines i'm seeing in it look almost like craquelure or crazing on pottery (maybe it is ceramic?) - here's a couple pics I upped the contrast on a bit to bring out the lines:

49303053611_8f14b46d0e_kdev.jpg 49303263897_8f1343eb5d_kdev.jpg

KikoBlueEyes, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  7. scoutshouse

I can see some of what you mean...

Screenshot_20191230-221159_1577772795739.jpg

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Haahahahaha!!!!!!
    Where the hell did you find that ???

I can't even remember where mine came from... :oops:
    All I know is it came to me after 2002....and it sits here...like some lonely child among my Inuit art work.
    It's warm, like some kind of plastic...resin....something like that.
    My siggy is similar enuf to be by the same hand.....copywrite symbol and all.
    It's a baby white coat seal......which I thought was stained by tobacco smoke...but yours is the same cream color.

The lines on mine look like yours.....and if you pass your fingernail across the body you should find that some if not all are surface indentations......
    I can see mine with a good spy glass, in the right light...

More than that............. who knows ?????

KikoBlueEyes, sabre123, dude and 8 others like this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

10. i need help

C110E48F-8240-471A-90B8-9E80420AF8DF.jpeg If they are right, John Perry.

dude, Bronwen, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

12. scoutshouse

He's a FEELY SEALY: a sculpture that is soothing to the touch. They are molded from our proprietary resin compound, Pellucida, in a form that resembles polished whale scrimshaw, that we call Balanite. It is about 3 inches long - perfect for the average hand. Each is SIGNED discreetly on the underside and it comes with a CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY. We usually ship very quickly, sometimes even the same day if the order comes in early, otherwise it is nearly always the next day, the exceptions being Mondays when, because of the number of orders coming in from the weekend, some orders may not get shipped until Tuesday.

Out of stock on Amazon, so no price.

But Perry may have been making them for awhile. Yours looks like it has some age to it...

13. aaroncab

Thanks Komo - looks like INH and Scout have pinned down an ID for us :) :playful:

KikoBlueEyes, dude, Bronwen and 6 others like this.
  14. aaroncab

Thanks Scout! Feely Sealy - ha - he does beg to be held in the palm!

KikoBlueEyes, dude, Bronwen and 6 others like this.
  15. aaroncab

16. aaroncab

17. scoutshouse

Maybe Balanite doesn't hold up all that well. Weren't we wondering if yours was Bakelite, @komokwa?

18. aaroncab

Looks like he's currently selling them on Etsy for 10 bucks. You can see how they yellow as they age - brand new they are baby seal white :)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/458054...PJ_2zN_Vj5xarlFVfdwPdzi3hl4PDkQhoC7BwQAvD_BwE

19. i need help

At least it’s unanimous! :):)
    Do you think they were all white, once?

20. aaroncab

Maybe not: ( from his website)

In 1973 John Perry founded the Studio with the concept of applying the very latest materials and molding techniques to the reproduction of his sculpture in order to make it as broadly accessible as possible..
    He developed “Pellucida.” a compound.of resins that can be presented in a variety of forms, the frosted white version resembling bisque porcelain, the beige version, Balanite, looks like polished ivory, and the black version, Ebonite, like polished ebony.

Draft saved Draft deleted