Featured Ivory, bone,or resin 3 Wise Monkeys?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Wolfrott, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Wolfrott

Wolfrott New Member

My mother brought this statue back from storage in our attic, in Italy; it was bought 60 years ago.

I can’t ID the artist (signed on the middle monkey’s butt) or what it’s made of.

I do own antique ivories inherited; piano and statues, but this one has me baffled as it ticks boxes for all 3 types of ivory, bone and resin. Can anyone help me?

3 Wise Monkeys
    WEIGHT: 630g
    DIMENSIONS:
    9.5cm tall (monkeys)
    12cm wide (monkeys)
    2cm tall base (not including monkeys)
    It’s signed S.H.

It always feels cold, never becomes warm with touch. It’s smooth like glass, the carving is either smooth or sharp depending on which bit you are touching (fur is smooth, faces are sharp, etc). It’s incredibly heavy, 630grams!

9838F239-1E7E-41B1-84F9-E7C23BD2095A.jpeg 55215A82-EEA1-4CBA-8CB5-69213F39A233.jpeg A2FD97D7-F872-46BC-8F79-CBEF28497AF2.jpeg AE5B33C7-24A8-48A9-8919-E47E7F16A64E.jpeg B0B5811F-6C89-4073-9840-8253E06CBB04.jpeg C6C80DF5-E60B-4FA7-AECB-DEB2D61CF441.jpeg 6C968DBE-8088-4B59-994F-36494FF7C13B.jpeg CE97FC24-71E8-45B4-93F0-4F2C419F4B5B.jpeg 5F720BF3-0E47-4271-B05A-E2446CEFB695.jpeg

The base feels like stone or resin, it has pock marks/fleabites, and lines. The monkeys have no hairlines fractures, cracks, pits/dots, or other telltale bloodvessel details. One broken ear reveals a rough cross-section/inside.

Attached Files:

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, Wolfrott. It ticks only the boxes for man made material for me. I see no indication for ivory at all & have to work hard to see any possibility of bone.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice pics, Wolfrott.
    Both the monkeys and the base are resin.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Don't work too hard.:)

5. Wolfrott

Wolfrott New Member

Yeah, I suspected it, but the weight and the signature threw me off. Not sure why a synthetic would be signed. My resin figures are featherlight!

Does anyone know what S.H is?

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Someone's attempt to convince you it's hand carved?

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If it's Italian, I'll bet reconstituted marble.

8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

AED81930-BB99-4FCA-ABB7-F6360B389151.jpeg This was not found in the link. Maybe someone can get to it.

Ghopper1924, komokwa, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  9. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

"Sh...hhhhh! We resinate with meaning!"

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@i need help, does not appear to be on Etsy in any way, shape or form.........

11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Thank you for double checking, Aquitaine. :)

12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

As for age, the time period you said sounds right to me. My parents had a thing for the "see no evil, hear no evil, say no evil" monkies in the 40s and/or early 50s. I think it was a popular theme at the time.

13. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

see no evil,hear no evil,say no evil,because we are the evil :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

judy likes this.
  14. Richard Delauro

Richard Delauro New Member

Has anyone seen this mark on 3 WM statues before?

15. Richard Delauro

Richard Delauro New Member

The mark is my profile picture

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

never seen that done before.....

please start your own new thread and give us proper sized pics so we can see the mark and the whole item.....and tell us what u already know about the piece...

help us....to help you !!;):happy:

Bakersgma, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  17. Dan2292

Dan2292 New Member

I have here a similar model (no idea what it is made from) I inherited this from my Nan. I have uploaded high res pics hoping that someone here may have some insight on material. this weighs 185 grams

18. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Dan! Please start your own thread so your item gets the best attention.

komokwa likes this.
  19. Dan2292

Dan2292 New Member

Hi sorry am new to this as in not posted on forums before. I saw this thread had a model which looked like mine and was asking same question as what I would like to know about my own figure.

20. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Based on the look of the bottom I would say resin.

Dan2292 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted