Jade Handle/Axe?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by ForgetfulExplorer, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Hell! I am at a loss trying to identify this piece, does anyone recognize it? I was told it is made up of Jade and do see evidence of that. Thank you for any insight you may have! image000000 (47).jpg image000001 (23).jpg

wlwhittier likes this.
  2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Interesting thing. Im doubtful of this but will wait for the knowledgeable people to respond.

ForgetfulExplorer likes this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Chinese jade Ceremonial Axe, you would need an expert to see if it was antique.There are a number of them which are probably newer on Etsy for $50 plus.

ForgetfulExplorer and Boland like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It looks like a metal replica, rather than jade. But photos can be deceiving.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto. Inspired by Chinese Archaic styles, but a mix of styles, and not of any specific historic period.

The animal is based on a "pig dragon", with an upturned nose. Pig dragons are only seen in the Hongshan culture, but axes like this are not Hongshan. There are very few pig dragon artifacts, and none are remotely like this

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Interesting information. Thanks for sharing your knowledge

7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

The patina is odd.

Boland and ForgetfulExplorer like this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

The paint looks to be made of white milk paint, or at least, made to resemble old white milk paint. It does look like stone to me too..

9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Does a magnet stick? In which case it is iron (which is what it looks like to me). Or it may be bronze/copper, it which case it would not be magnetic.

Boland and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. I do not believe that is paint, rather dirt. I have not cleaned it at all but for this post I just wiped it with a wet paper towel and it comes off. Magnets do not stick, I have attached a couple more photos. image000001 (24).jpg image000000 (49).jpg image000000 (50).jpg

11. antidiem

Is it a carved bone?

12. It is pretty heavy.

Boland likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

It does look like it could be organic, doesn't it.

14. antidiem

Yes in the close up! Prior to seeing that, I was just going off of what OP mentioned about it being sold as "jade" (which it is probably not, now that I see the close up).

15. I will need to get the material tested somehow. When tapped, it does not sound like bone and in the picture it is hard to tell but it definitely has a greenish tint on the few exposed spots.

Boland likes this.
  16. I am tempted to clean it because it seems to have layers of debris but do not want to mess up the integrity.

17. Any Jewelry

I wouldn't touch it.

First step is to ascertain what material it is.
    The seller said jade, can you take it to a jeweller or gemologist to have it tested? Or do you know someone with a gem tester?

18. When shining a light close up, it appears to be too translucent to be bone.

Boland likes this.
  19. I called someone local and left a voicemail about getting it tested but have not heard back.

20. Any Jewelry

That brings us closer to jade. Many jade replicas etc have been coming out of China over the last few decades. They're often sold as antique.
    Oh good. Not that you haven't heard back, but you probably will.

antidiem, Boland and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted