Featured Jade Lamp?? Who what when.. any advice

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Andrew N, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Andrew N

Andrew N Member

I recently rescued this item. It seems to be jade, however I am no expert.
    It seems old but sturdy, not cheap or plastic.

Its heavy and cold to the touch, has a few nicks here and there. But otherwise seems ok.
    Nothing broken off.

I am not quite a collector of anything, and by no means any expert. Just recently discovered the passion for older things and histories.

I am not even sure if I should see if it works??

Guessing it might be from china or made to look that way.

No real inscriptions or markings. Except the power plug (levitron) and the actual socket stamped in the bronze part (Benjamin 250V).

I don't know? Is there maybe a hint of history here or is it modern made history?
    Any ideas or speculation would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
    Andrew

IMG_9550.JPG IMG_9551.jpg IMG_9552.JPG

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Very nice! Don’t be discouraged if you don’t get a reply right away. People who know about your lamp may not be around right now, so always check back. ;)

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME, Andrew!!! Well, we know he needs a shade and two light bulbs!!!:rolleyes: If the cord doesn't look frayed and looks good, I'd say put some bulbs in, plug it in and give it a shot!! I think he looks neat!!! This is a world-wide site, so there are members coming and going all the time.....someone will be along eventually, right, @Any Jewelry !!!

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a nice rescue....older fixture....
    we need to see the base....bottom.....and know if you can take it apart from the gentleman...

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

If adding pictures, please show the cord and plug.

Lamps are not always easy to id.
    Lamp companies would buy parts and assemble them. Your Chinese man may be from China, but the base he is sitting on my be from US. The company that put all the parts together would be the one marketing the lamp.

By the way welcome to the board.

6. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome, @Andrew N!

I think he may be painted alabaster or soapstone. He's sure welcome in my lamp farm!

judy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if he was painted as well.
    Not so sure though. There is a green jasper type of stone mixed with white, don't know the name of it, but was wondering if that is what it is. I don't think it is jade.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Charming, he makes me smile.
    I agree, not jade. It looks painted or stained to me as well.
    I don't think he is Chinese, but made after a Chinese statue.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The lamp parts are definitely old … pre WWII at the very least. What is the base made of? Base and figure do look painted. Possible for this to be stone and still be painted. Have seen a lot of things painted that should never have been.

10. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi Andrew. You sure have created some interest with your green man! Can we see the back as well? The green figure seems quite small for the size of the lamp and I'm wondering how it was put together.

I think he might be Japanese and possibly one of the Seven Lucky Gods. He looks a little like Jurojin, the God of Longevity/Wisdom, but there are many variations in the carvings and images I have seen. His elongated head, although he does have a hat, is typical of Japanese representation of Gods.

Let's see what others think. :)

11. Andrew N

Andrew N Member

As requested some more images of the man with staff who has amnesia and forgot his past. Hehe.

Thank you for all the interest. I can tell this is a good group to be part of. :)

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  12. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

The way the base has been moulded around the man's feet makes me think the lamp was made this way. I think it is interesting that a similar sort of green paint that is on the man has been used under the base. The wear marks on the man (his forehead, face and especially on his back) don't look like they have come from handling - it looks like they have been rubbed off deliberately to give the impression of age and wear.
    I wonder if the base is wood, terracotta or plaster? It doesn't look like metal to me.
    The electric plug looks new and it has probably been rewired. Benjamin Electric Co was founded in Chicago in the late 19th century and had a hugely successful worldwide business.
    Imported base from Japan pre WW2 and assembled in America?

judy and i need help like this.
  13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree ..... Base looks like wood and made for this statue. Wiring is newer.

judy and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted