Featured Jade Perfume Burner?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, Nov 17, 2022.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

This is a small jade piece that my research finds sellers are calling a perfume burner. It resembles its bigger cousin an incense burner in all ways except that it is 3 inches tall and 3 inches. I know it isn't an antique or made to burn perfume, but more like a tourist item. But I found the exact same one with dragons instead of foo dogs on 1st Dibs in a box and advertised as 1930. A very specific date. Now I realize that they didn't stop producing these after 1930, but the depression did affect Asian countries significantly.
    The ones currently available all have foo dogs on top instead of a dragon. Here is the dragon one I found on 1st Dibs. Original 1930 Chinese Export Natural Pale Jade Perfume Burner at 1stDibs

It is exactly the same as mine including the stand.

images (4).jpg

Here is mine minus the box:

thumbnail_IMG_7631.jpg IMG_7625.JPG IMG_7627.JPG thumbnail_IMG_7632.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7633.jpg IMG_7624 (1).JPG IMG_7623 (1).JPG
    thumbnail_IMG_7638.jpg
    IMG_7621.JPG

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    Figtree3, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Small serpentine jade incense burner.:) Serpentine jade is a nice quality serpentine, so not jade.
    These are still being made. I also have one, which I bought about ten years ago because it was cute and cheap.
    Small and miniature incense burners are cute trinkets, but they are made as copies of bigger incense burners, not as perfume burners.

You can burn incense in a small burner, but I wouldn't want to put a flame to perfume, and I can't imagine it smells nice.
    You can use perfume in an essential oil burner, because then you have a burner underneath the dish that contains the oil or perfume. It is a different construction from an incense burner.
    Which they probably can't prove?;)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

AJ I am always amazed at the infinite amount of knowledge you possess.
    Thanks for all the help you give to this forum.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:shy::kiss:

5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

1st Dibs strikes again-dam* their pricing.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you for the detailed answer. I so appreciate you taking the time to explain your thinking in such detail. Of course, I have admired the large pieces in many a museum case. I saw one for $37,000 on Live auctioneers the other day (no bids), so as long as I didn't spend that much . . .. I very much appreciate you. :kiss:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

People with a lot of money want things to be expensive. The seller knew just how to present it.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. bosko69

ditto Kik

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

There's also glass versions of these out there.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  10. bosko69

Perhaps in this era of Crypto and those one-off computer generated images (paintings ?) that sell for huge money,people will almost buy anything for any amount of money,providing it has the right 'cache',correct verbiage,and is deemed significant enough to someones idea of 'culture' to be 'Expensive'. You only need to convince one Billionaire,of course two,that aren't particularly fond of each other is better.
    The 'Pet Rock' of the 1970's was a very successful incarnation of 'conceptual art' meets commerce-all about idea,copy writing and packaging.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted