James Allan Sheffield Pewter Teapot?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Iggy and Alice, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Iggy and Alice

Iggy and Alice I love my twin!

One of these times I am going to find something of value so please be patient with me I found this tea pot at a church sale. I just thought it was unique but after trying to figure out it's history, age, value ect. I'm stumped. Kovels has nothing on James Allan Sheffield pewter or silver plate. I've searched all my other sources with no luck. I did find a pic of something close to this ( that's where I came up with the pewter versus silver plate) but no info with it. Help. It weighs 1# 15 oz. It is 7.5" tall and about 9" across from tip of spout to edge of handle. The bottom itself is 5". IMG_20170816_120515.jpg IMG_20170816_133207.jpg IMG_20170816_133247.jpg IMG_20170816_133329.jpg IMG_20170816_133417.jpg IMG_20170816_133417_1.jpg 1502905651903-231927730.jpg

Figtree3 and Huntingtreasure like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Pewter Wares From Sheffield by Jack L Scott gives the following information on James Allan:

"James Allan worked from 1849 to 1872. His address was Wicker St. from 1849 to 1851 and Andrew St from 1851 to 1855. In 1855 the "& Co" was dropped from the name and the firm moved to Johnson Lane. (My note: This change is accompanied by the original mark (James Allan & Co, in an arch shape over Sheffield and the later mark which matches the one on your pot.)"

Scott goes on to note that "this firm should not be confused with James Allen & Co (note the different spelling) which manufactured silver and plated wares from 1889 to 1960."

Figtree3, Bronwen and SBSVC like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Interesting side note. The finial on your pot looks almost identical to one on a Shaw & Fisher "registered design" illustration (copied into Scott's book from the Sheffield Central Library) dated in 1845. The rest of the pot in that picture is different from yours.

The mark on yours dates from 1855 - 1872. There are 2 Allan pieces pictured in the book, but neither is in the design of yours. I would say from the looks of yours (and that finial) that it is closer to the 1855 start date of the use of the mark than it is to the 1872 end date of Allan's work.

Figtree3, Bronwen, judy and 1 other person like this.
  4. Iggy and Alice

Thank you so much . I really thought this was a unique pot. Sometimes I just don't even know where to start to look these things up. I appreciate your knowledge and love the fact that I found this site. I'm learning so much from just reading all the threads and this helps when I am on the hunt. Would you know if there is any value to this?

judy likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I can't imagine that's pewter. Looks like it's had some heat applied to it, and pewter is not good for that. I would guess it's base metal that was silver plated, but the plating is mostly gone. If that's true, I would not expect much in the way of value.

judy likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

You're very welcome. I just happen to own a copy of the book I referenced because it focuses on James Dixon, one of the longest and best known of the Sheffield pewterers, who was the maker of a coffee and a tea pot circa 1835-40 that were passed down to me. I bought my copy directly from Mr. Scott.

As for "value," as moreother has pointed out (and you have shown in the pictures) it has condition issues. And yes, it IS pewter, but is most likely to be the pewter alloy called Britannia which was widely used in Sheffield. It's hard to say whether it was ever silver plated. One of the 2 Allan pieces pictured in the book is described as having been plated, the other was not.

Searching for Britannia tea pots on the UK Ebay site may yield some information on whether there is a market and at what price point.

judy and Jeff Drum like this.
  7. Bakersgma

In the "for what it's worth" category, I was just flipping through the book again and stopped on the section with descriptive terms given for various designs. The finial on your pot is called "Persian" in the 1848 Shaw and Fisher catalog.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  8. Iggy and Alice

Thank you all. Don't know how you do it but thanks. I'll maybe investigate further or it will just get added to my shelf of unique useless stuff I've aquired. I still love it and it helps so much to know the history. This pot has been used and I also couldn't understand anyone putting something hot in pewter. I may try to clean it but actually I kind of like it just the way it is. On to searches for bigger, better useless stuff. Someday I'll get lucky but for now I don't mind " aquiring" some stuff just because I like it. Now when I can't get through my rooms, I'll have to discuss hoarding with you all!!

judy likes this.
  9. Thomas Weber

Thomas Weber New Member

HI I just came across this while search for worth information regarding a sheffield teapot but by Arthur B Furniss and was lucky enough to date it between 1874-94 by the address of 27 carver street. It has a ding or two and is pewter. What sthe best way to clean pewter. I'd try selling it b/c I got it for $5.00. Anything over that is profit.

judy likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

Welcome, Thomas. Dust it. Generally that's all that is called for. Are you in the UK?

And one other thing. Perhaps it was an unintentional typo, but I assume you are referring to Arthur E Furniss, right?

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Thomas Weber

Thomas Weber New Member

HI I am so sorry for the delay. I am in US, state of connecticut. Yes and Arthur B Furniss, correct. His pewter is not well known here. I jst received a reply from someone saying they couldn't help me because he did silver not pewter! Wanted to show her where I found verification of his pewter mark and i didn't book mark it! Look all over again, shouldn't be hard if I look under Sheffield.

12. Thomas Weber

Thomas Weber New Member

13. Bakersgma

Hello again Thomas. Here are 2 pictures of the A E Furniss pewter marking and location information from my copy of Pewter Wares From Sheffield by Jack L. Scott. You'll note the 3 different marks with dates used and the list of addresses for the A E Furniss business with dates occupied.

Furniss Mark Info 2.jpg

Furniss Location Info 1.jpg

Good luck with selling!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted