Featured James Colbourne "Crow" Traditional Inuit carving

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by 916Bulldogs123, Sep 8, 2022.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Hi all I had a question about being able to re-sell this carving.
    A traditional carving is carved from Whale bone and Caribou antler.
    James Colbourne is from Newfoundland. Are there different rules for fossilized Whale bone?
    The little bear is 2 1/4" long Antler slice is 3 1/2"
    Mikey
    weee 2170.jpg weee 2172.jpg weee 2171.jpg weee 2168.jpg

Boland, Any Jewelry, judy and 6 others like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The specific applicable laws will depend on where you are located, and where you intend to sell the piece. Most whale species have enjoyed protection since the passage of the Marine Mammal Protection Act in 1972 (U.S.), and the 1973 international agreement known as CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora).

According to https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/national/protected-species-parts#what-about-fossils?
    "A fossil is created when all the organic material in a specimen has been replaced by inorganic material. Because they lack organic material, protected species fossils do not fall under the jurisdiction of the Marine Mammal Protection Act or the Endangered Species Act. Protected species fossils can be bought or sold without authorization.
    It is important to note that not all items picked up on beaches or dug up are fossils. A fossil is not the same as a really old bone. Fossils are not regulated under the MMPA or ESA, but old bones are."

How have you identified the bear as fossilized whale bone?

There should be no problems with the antler section.

Any Jewelry, sabre123, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

It’s not fossilized. Weathered might be a better descriptor. You should be okay to sell it so long as you don’t try to ship internationally.

4. 916Bulldogs123

I had thought originally it was fossilized, the carver uses it for some of his carvings. Major difference as I can see now.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Perhaps one of the reasons that some people would call their whale bone pieces fossilized or petrified was in an attempt to skirt all of the regulations enacted in the early 1970’s. Eventually the terms entered into common usage despite being incorrect.

6. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I could tell if it was in my hands - but the bear looks more like stone to me, rather than whale bone, fossilized or not. This doesn't look like the few fossilized whalebone carvings I've seen. But I could be wrong.
    Whale bone, fossilized, might fall under CITES prohibition; however, just a side note, fossilized mammoth or mastodon ivory does not, and is generally legal, though prohibited by some State laws.

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  7. 916Bulldogs123

@all_fakes the artist only uses Whale bone.
    Lots of examples of his works are out there.
    But not on Ebay?

Draft saved Draft deleted