Featured Jan C Vondrous etching of Venice

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lithographer, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I picked this up at an estate sale this morning and I thought I would post it because I thought it was well done. Etchings are really my passion, as far as my collecting goes. It appears to have been executed in 1914-1915 and is signed and dated in the corner. I really appreciate the fact that it is also signed in the plate, much easier to read. The frame is horrible and the mat is felt and on top of the glass, weird, I have never seen that. I will try to find a frame that is more of the period.
    IMG_1480.jpg IMG_1481.jpg IMG_1482.jpg IMG_1483.jpg IMG_1484.jpg IMG_1485.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

This may have been a tourist piece or just bought in a department store. The date is right when WWI started, so that alone would make me curious. It probably had a really friable mat originally and a frame that fell apart. I reframed one myself that was even older but also probably a wedding/tourist gift. That one's mat came apart in my hands. Literally.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's nice, isn't it?

Debora

4. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Yes, I think so. It will go up on the wall if I can find a place for it. I believe the writing in the center says 1st state, that is good. Hopefully the framer didn’t do anything bad to it.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

There are a number of others floating around the internet with auction sales prices.

Debora

6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Jan C. Vondrouš, most probably Czech immigrant.
    the style of the drawing is consistent with many Eastern European artists; seems as if they had all the same teacher in Prague.
    got one of the Charles Bridge in same style in a lot from a Dresde artists heritage. no big money in it. in fleamarkets you see them going for 25 to 40 € in good nick.

Draft saved Draft deleted