Featured Japanese 19th century Ceramics collection.Can you please help to identify?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aim, Feb 18, 2019.

1. aim

aim New Member

note: Although I post this thread in "Antique Discussion", I was advised to post it here as it may be more relevant. Apologies for the double post.

Hi all, my first post here as, while I have an interest in objects (being a designer), I had never a chance to be involved in the antique/vintage objects.
    All this changed when I recently lost a relative and I inherited her home with all its content. My relative lived in Greece but traveled in the ‘60s all around Europe for business but also to buy her furniture/accessories.

I managed to identify some of her furniture, some of her ceramics, but there are some that I cannot identify. I wonder if you could help me to identify the following ones or if give me a selling price (estimation of course).

One thing I remember she told me specifically for the ceramic no. U_09 is that her Antique-dealer friend (he has passed away as well) told her to never consider to sell it or just give it away (she used to be very generous to people). Oh, the mark in the bottom of no.9 is just a sticker :)

Thank you very much for your time and contribution,

Alex
    U_07.PNG U_08.PNG U_09.PNG U_09_2.PNG U_09_3.PNG U_09_4.PNG U_10.PNG U_10_2.PNG U_10_3.PNG U_10_4.PNG

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Aim, they are in beautiful condition to be from the 1800's. Obviously they were cherished by your relative(s).

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they are so beautiful....must be worth a kings ransom...!

4. aim

aim New Member

yourturntoloveit, indeed, their condition is impeccable. I understand your skepticism but judging from the fact that my relative had very good relations with local antique dealers and also she had contacts with big fashion textile manufacturers in Switzerland, Germany, Italy (with constant roadtrips from Greece to there in the 60s, 70s) I hope that they are not "cheap" copies. Besides, she was never into brands, cost(i mean she would buy things just because she likes, not because of a brand, or "history") but she did tell me once, that especially number 9 was told to never leave it away.

komokwa, thank you very much. I hope so, but at the same time I feel so strange I will need to sell them. I cannot take care of them, I am reluctant to take them to my home in another country (Asia). Cannot be left anymore unattended in a closed home that most likely I will sell.

But, these objects served their purpose well when my relatives enjoyed them. Each one has it own path in life to move on. With a small part of the money I just think to buy a nice mechanical watch sometime (something having a '60s feeling), to have it always with me, and remember my relatives.

perhaps this..
    Grand-Seiko-SBGW251-main.jpg

Through my network I started contacting Japanese dealers as well to see if I can figure out more.

Will keep you posted

5. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

very confusing having 2 identical posts but i just wanted to say that it would probably be best to consult a reputable auction house, especially for the no9. however, since it was such a special item, perhaps you would consider taking it home with you? i think it would be such a lovely piece to remember your relative every time you see it :happy::happy:

just wondering what other lovely items she had in her home :):)

6. aim

aim New Member

Apologies for the confusion. My mistake and fellow forum members suggested to post here as well. If moderators want, they can close the other topic. I will only continue here.

Ahh.. she had so many things. While getting older she gifted many objects. I do not know if you followed my other topic in "Furniture" section where I share her living room collection : https://www.antiquers.com/threads/m...one-and-a-lamp-please-help-to-identify.35069/

Draft saved Draft deleted