Featured Japanese Children's Picture Book - help

Discussion in 'Books' started by Bookahtoo, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I acquired this book recently and would really like some help with it. I tried to use Google translate, but I just couldn't in this case. It reads from back to front.

I think it may be a "things we do in our daily lives and also on holidays" type book for young children. The pictures of the biplanes and the ironclad ship make me think 1910 - 1915 maybe? The Sumo wrestling page is fantastic.

smallDSCN2535.JPG

smallDSCN2537.JPG

smallDSCN2538.JPG

smallDSCN2539.JPG

smallDSCN2540.JPG

Oops - I forgot to take a picture of the biplanes page.

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The drop waist dress places the cover figure in the 1920s.

Debora

df7dd2f4d64cd00225360873db892450.jpg

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

4. Bookahtoo

Thanks Debora. I thought girls wore drop waist dresses earlier than that, but maybe not that style.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

True, they did. But other considerations are... The skirt length, the cloche-ish hat, the bright polka dot print and the Mary Janes all say 1920s to my eye.

Debora

9d2f27debd0ed456250c2762e5b89a4b.jpg

Fid, pearlsnblume, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

ISN'T she JUST PERFECT!!!!!!! LOVE the PIC, Debora!!!!:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

That picture of the Sumo wrestlers made me wonder if Japan held a World's Fair.

1922 Peace Exposition
    http://www.oldtokyo.com/peace-commemorative-exposition-1922/
    upload_2020-6-22_12-1-2.png
    upload_2020-6-22_12-4-3.png
    I didn't go through the whole website. And I am not saying that your book relates to the Expo. However, there does appear to be similarities to these pictures.

8. Bookahtoo

Cluttered - you're so smart! I never would have thought of that!

clutteredcloset49 and Bronwen like this.
  9. Bookahtoo

Debora, when you're right, you're right!

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think the dresses made a comeback for little girls in the 50s. A cousin my age had one & I was so envious, but then I also wanted a sailor suit. I think we called them chemise dresses, although that term does not really find them on the Internet now. The dress my maternal grandmother wore to her wedding in 1924 was the drop waist with ruffles look.

11. Bronwen

This alone might sell it to someone. Appear to be labeled illustrations of various sumo moves, all different, a whole sumo primer.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. Bookahtoo

@Debora - did you notice the pinafores on the boats page?

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Speaking of the boats page - those out further from shore are much more 20s than 50s.

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, they appear to be worn over kimonos. Isn't that interesting?

Debora

15. Bookahtoo

It looks like the baby and the little boy in the last picture are wearing them too. I wonder if they were called pinafores?

Bronwen likes this.
  16. Bronwen

What's happening in the last picture? Looks like he untied & opened the box, getting a surprise that knocked him back. At the moment I can only think of firecrackers, but could it be a smell?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  17. Bookahtoo

I think that along the bottom of each page there is another story being told, separate from the main story of the book, perhaps a folk tale of some kind?
    On the previous page it looks like when he found that box it was putting of rays of heat!

18. Bronwen

I see in the panel above that there are creatures with butterfly wings & also a box giving off something. The plot thickens!

19. Bronwen

[​IMG]

Love them visiting with the octopus & watching the bats. If the silhouette on the right is the little girl with a big bow in her hair, that really puts in to 20s/30s. My mother said she hated them but that her younger brother always wanted one.

20. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

The majority of the text is too small for me to read... Although, I can read it is a monthly publication, in the top white writing on the first page. The large red writing is 報畫年幼 is like saying information for young children, though doesn't directly translate well.

Draft saved Draft deleted