Featured Japanese, Chinese or Chinoiserie?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Smudged, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Smudged

Smudged Well-Known Member

bamboo-jug-10 small.jpg bamboo-jug-11 small.jpg bamboo-jug-7 small.jpg bamboo-jug-3 small.jpg bamboo-jug-12 small.jpg Hello all,
    Interesting bamboo jug, style suggests later Victorian to me or very early 20th at the latest. No marks, very well potted with a beautifully formed foot, which makes me think it's either Japanese or Chinese but not sure, could be European Chinoiserie but I don't think so. Anyone have any ideas?

kyratango, patd8643, lloyd249 and 9 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Oh my! Be still my heart! That is gorgeous!

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

My guess is Japanese. And it is beautiful.

4. Smudged

It is a bit isn't it? Lucky find, beautifully painted! With the raised outlines it reminds me of early satsuma so wondering if it is a form of Japanese circa 1900.

5. Smudged

Thanks! That's the way i'm leaning too, not seen another quite like it before.

6. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

My vote is Japanese with moriage or icing detailing on the neck. Fantastic!

judy, Kathy Anderson and Smudged like this.
  7. Smudged

Great, thanks! It's really well made which is what drew my eye to it.

judy likes this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Well for sure it isn't Chinese - what is it made of by the way? (pottery or porcelain?)

Japan is a fair guess, but as it's also extremely unusual both in palette and form for a Japanese piece, I'm thinking it may be European Japonisme after all.

The photos are a little on the small side to discern the clay body (foot) and I cannot see moriage work at the rim, maybe thin tube-lining or enameling, hard to say from the photo.

Whatever it is, I agree with everyone, it is a stunner.

9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

In the 1880's Royal Worcester made superb pieces in the Japonist style, (they would be marked of course) along with other high fashion British and European manufacturers.

Here's an example of a piece of Royal Worcester from that era:

37EH.jpg

kyratango, judy, Smudged and 2 others like this.
  10. Smudged

Do these help? larger images to show the paintwork. The yellowish crackle glaze (where the green isn't visible, like the inside) is reminiscent to satsuma type from 1890s i've had before.
    That blue Worcester jug is glorious!

bamboo-jug-7a small.jpg

bamboo-jug-2 small.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    kyratango and judy like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

My vote is English Japonisme. Nice thing.

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Mine too. Very ott, but I love it.

kyratango and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted