Japanese (?) cups and saucer sets x 2 - anyone know what they are?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Dory64, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

I recently both a set of four of these cute retro demitasse cups and saucers at a charity shop for NZ $12. I've only ever seen such fine porcelain in Japanese tea sets. They are unmarked - does anyone have any ideas what they might be? They're so fine the circular pattern shows through to the inside. I can't find anything like them online.
    From the same shop I also bought a funky set of six coffee cups and saucers for $9 - I did find something similar but not exactly the same, but they had Japan on the bottom, mine do not. Of course now I can't find that page, but had I not seen it, Japan wouldn't have entered my mind! Ideas anyone?
    Sorry, just occurred to me that these are not antiques - moderators please delete if not allowed.

Cups and saucers 5.jpg Cups and saucers 4.jpg Brown Cups & saucers.jpg Green Cups and saucers.jpg Green Cups and saucers 3.jpg Green Cups and saucers 2.jpg

Cups and saucers 5.jpg Cups and saucers 4.jpg Brown Cups & saucers.jpg Green Cups and saucers.jpg Green Cups and saucers 3.jpg Green Cups and saucers 2.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

The brown ones may be from the 1920s or 30s from the style of decoration. The others are newer IMHO.

Dory64 and judy like this.
  3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Dory, not a problem that they aren't true antiques - we research lots of newer items around here. Welcome to group.

Dory64, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  4. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Super quality and very stylish. Sorry I can’t help you.

Dory64 likes this.
  5. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Great, thanks for that

6. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Thank you

7. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Yes, I thought so too. All good, Thanks

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member