Featured Japanese Figurine

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by DBinSV, Apr 6, 2018.

1. DBinSV

DBinSV Active Member

This Japanese figurine, approximately 2.5 inches in height, is another piece in a collection of family keepsakes that I am preparing to pass along to my niece and nephew.

If possible, I would like to be able to provide them with some basic background about the piece, including the material of which it is likely made.

The left arm is actually broken off, along the crease of the woman’s kimono. I would like to fix it before passing it along. (It always bothered me as a child to see the woman in our display case separated from her arm.) I would be grateful for recommendations as to the type of glue to purchase and any tips relating to the repair.

female_figurine_front_1.jpg female_figurine_front_2.jpg female_figurine_back1.jpg female_figurine_back2.jpg female_figurine_underside.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Looks like ivory to me,and Im not sure how they would fix that? She is lovely.

Huntingtreasure and komokwa like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

She is gorgeous. These small Japanese figurines are called okimono.
    The problem with ivory and glue is that sulphur can eat away at ivory. Most glues contain sulphur.
    Taking her to a professional restorer will cost money. There are sites with advice on ivory repair, here is one:
    http://www.silversmithing.com/1ivory.htm
    I don't know if the glue they mention is sulphur-free.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice little piece of ivory....good for a keepsake......

Huntingtreasure and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I used to fix little pieces like this with good quality wax/paraffin. I use the ones made for canning. Like jelly when you pour it into the jar you use a wax seal to seal it. NO sulfur in it.
    greg

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

A nice family keepsake, but not a very high standard of carving, and not a lot of monetary value.

7. DBinSV

DBinSV Active Member

Paraffin, what a great idea! I would never have thought of that on my own but it seems like the perfect solution here, in part because of my concern about messing something up when trying to glue it. Thank you, one and all! (including to @Any Jewelry for teaching me the name, okimono, which will be an excellent contribution to the notes I include with the collection).

Any Jewelry and LIbraryLady like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted