Featured Japanese Kyusu

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Potteryplease, Feb 6, 2024.

1. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Hi-a. I found this guy today for $5. Lid intact and no damage. I've found a couple similar while searching online, but I have no knowledge or context for these, so I thought to ask in general here.

The last pic is the mark w/ flour in it to make it more visible.

Thank you for any comments.

IMG_8854.jpeg IMG_8855.jpeg IMG_8856.jpeg IMG_8857.jpeg IMG_8858.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
    Figtree3, wlwhittier, judy and 3 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. Potteryplease

Yes, thank you. I was thinking (perhaps erroneously) that that was what kyusu meant...?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

5. Potteryplease

Thank you! That appears to be a match. Very nice.

wlwhittier, komokwa and judy like this.
  6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Forgot to answer this bit, yes it means teapot and is usually associated with side handled types.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You were right, a kyusu is a side handled teapot, so this model specifically. Yours is a very nice one.

Edit: Ce already specified the side handled thing.:shame:

8. Potteryplease

Just for reference: I've copied this from the Etsy listing @Ce BCA linked:

"This Tokoname-yaki kyusu (teapot) is made with a striking green, red, yellow, and white marbled clay. The marbled effect is produced through the nerikomi (練り込み) technique, which involves kneading different coloured clays together. The pot features a simple ceramic do-ake filter which adds no metallic tastes to the tea.

Made by the son of famed Tokoname craftsman Konishi Yohei (小西洋平), Konishi Kenji (小西研二), stamped using the name Yusen (友仙) also used by his father.

Tokoname-yaki (常滑焼) is a type of Japanese pottery that traditionally comes from Tokoname in Aichi Prefecture, Japan. The site of one of Japan’s Six Ancient Kilns, pottery has been made in Tokoname since the 12th century.

Today, Tokoname ware is known for its iconic brick-red clay called shudei. Famously used in teaware and bonsai pots, this clay’s vibrant colour comes from its rich iron content. Tea steeped in unglazed Tokoname teapots is said to have a mellower taste."

https://www.etsy.com/listing/101180...how_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

9. Potteryplease

Thanks AJ!

komokwa, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Very pretty teapot! :)

komokwa and Potteryplease like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The only thing it's missing is tea.

Bakersgma and Potteryplease like this.
  12. Potteryplease

(and a cup ;))

Bakersgma likes this.
  13. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I've seen Youtube videos about the making of these, though not by this specific maker. Very intense work, not factory but artisan-made; main body and lid are wheel-thrown, filter holes, spout and handle added. I can't imagine how they can sell them at a reasonable price, given the skill and time it takes to make one. I bet they do make good tea though.

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I found one in a similar shape once, but not made from that clay. IIRC Bakers has it now - Secret Santa struck again.

antidiem and Potteryplease like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted