Japanese mark on bangle

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Chris Mount, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

Hi all was hoping someone could tell me the mark on a silver plated bangle of mine has elephants on front hope someone can help tried to search myself but doing my head in 15044129468391.jpg 15044128853720.jpg

Christmasjoy and lauragarnet like this.
  2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I don't read Chinese but I don't think this is plated I think it's some purity of solid silver.
    I believe the bottom mark is the symbol for silver... and the top one would be the purity level but I don't know how to read that one

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Chris Mount

It is worn in certain areas and looks like copper underneath

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is Chinese mass production and likely to be a fake mark on base metal. It is not old, and they are still making these.
    The characters of the mark are raised, part of the production process, which means it is not a proper Chinese silver mark.
    I can't tell from here if it is silver, plated, or base metal. All I can say is, the mark is not a Chinese silver mark, and most bracelets like this are base metal, so it is best to test it.
    The base metal most of these cuff bracelets are made of is often called Tibet silver or Miao silver.
    There is an elephant cuff bracelet like yours among the cuffs you can select here:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-selling...hash=item2a6a335670:m:mw8ZiN4fPel6T5BCZqZBe4g

Chris, with jewellery like this it is best to go to eBay first, it is where a lot of fun Chinese jewellery can be found. You can see if it is mass production from the number of listings, and it will save you a lot of research time.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    judy, Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  5. Chris Mount

Awesome thanks for that chinese rubbish basically

judy, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Cheap and cheerful is more like it, if you like elephants.

Any Jewelry, judy and aaroncab like this.
  8. Antique Inishie

Antique Inishie Kobijutsu enthusiast

The Chinese characters stand for 92.5% pure Sterling silver.

judy and lauragarnet like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

You're right, something like 紋銀 "wen yin", which, if it were silver, would indicate a classical Chinese silver fineness of about 925 to 935.
    But you always have to be careful saying anything of possible silver content when it comes to these recent, mass produced Chinese pieces, 99.9% are fake. China is notorious for it's extensive fakes industry. That is why I said, have it tested to be sure.
    Since so many people use this forum for reference, we have to be very careful with statements about Chinese 'silver marks', and keep warning about the fakes.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    aaroncab and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted