Featured Japanese Netsuke?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, Mar 10, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

One of the gifts from my friend, the reseller, who is moving and giving up his personal treasures is what I hope is a Japanese netsuke. Not that I think it is an authentic period piece, since there is no wear or discoloration on the holes. I'm just hoping for a piece from Japan that was made in the traditional way by a Japanese artist that meets the 100 year old mark. Ever since I saw an exhibit at a museum, I have been fascinated by them. It does have a signature. It does have an age crack, so I'm hoping it is okay. Any thoughts welcomed.

IMG_9575.JPG IMG_9558.JPG IMG_9568.JPG IMG_9560.JPG IMG_9562.JPG IMG_9563.JPG IMG_9561.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it looks real enuf...........can't speak to age though........:(

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

You can keep and admire it.They have been hand carving ivory for hundreds of years and still do today.The name is probably meaning less as there have been 10's of thousands of carvers .Proving age is some what expensive I believe and California law is strict.... https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billCompareClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB96

4. KikoBlueEyes

Great. I concerned about the age

judy likes this.
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

I didn't see anything about age in the California law,they even ban mammoth ivory and they have been extinct for 10,000 years. Link for testing... http://www.ivoryauthenticityandage.com/

6. KikoBlueEyes

You’re probably right that it wasn’t a well known artist. I’ve seen some truly spectacular ones. This is fairly mundane. I think the law prohibits sale and perhaps this is why he gave them to me because he couldn’t sell them.

judy and komokwa like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

For 33 years, I read government bureaucrat for a living :)
    In this case, the netsuke does not meet the second criteria of volume, but the law does allow antiques with ivory bits to be sold
    It says:
    (c) The prohibitions set forth in subdivision (b) shall not apply to any of the following:
    (4) Ivory or rhinoceros horn that is part of a bona fide antique and that is less than five percent by volume of the antique, if the antique status is established by the owner or seller of the antique with historical documentation demonstrating provenance and showing the antique to be not less than 100 years old.

judy likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

at 5%...there's no ivory there worth talking about...

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice gift, Kiko.:)
    It could be old enough, but probably made for trade rather than for wear. It may not be Japanese made.
    Would you like me to ask about the origin, signature and age on the International Netsuke Society forums? I am a member.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  10. KikoBlueEyes

That would be fabulous. I’m so excited
    You are terrific. Thank you.

kyratango, Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

It could take some time, every new thread on their forum has to be approved by a mod, and the forum is not as active as this one.
    Do you mind if I post your photos there?

kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

No problem. It’s not going anywhere. You’re welcome to post them. I can give you others if you think that would be helpful.

13. Any Jewelry

I think you have done an excellent job with informative photos, as always.:)
    I'll let you know if I hear something.

kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Submitted a post, but it has yet to be approved.:) I quoted part of your text too.:)

kyratango and Lucille.b like this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. I try. What a wonderful society to belong to. I would love to see some of your pieces. I bet they are sensational

Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Not that sensational, just things that appeal to me.:shy:

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

Better than my tagua nut one. Can we take a peek?

IMG_9578.JPG

komokwa, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

They allow 20% for musical items. Perhaps, their thinking that antiquities with small amounts of ivory would be defaced in order to resale them.

19. Any Jewelry

I have very few photos of them, and they are certainly not top pieces. But to give you an idea, I love netsuke with fans, like this actor:

upload_2021-3-11_15-48-30.jpeg

20. KikoBlueEyes

He is very nice. I love the grace of his upward hand and the billowing of his other sleeve. Such an intent expression. :happy::happy:

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted