Japanese Porcelain Figurine w/ white rabbit

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Melanie Mulkern, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Melanie Mulkern

Melanie Mulkern New Member

D9DC9EB2-0501-4A38-A536-33D3E79D91D1.jpeg 9C4A751F-E8FE-490E-A653-FDED8F4AA7C0.jpeg I think this figurine is Kutani from Japan. There are no markings. I think this figurine is very well made and unique. Can anyone confirm this is Kutani, age, and potential value? Thank you. D9DC9EB2-0501-4A38-A536-33D3E79D91D1.jpeg EAA529DD-63E9-4726-87F6-A6C47BB0302B.jpeg

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Strange symbolism. I wonder if it's a "Year of the Rabbit" thing.

3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Then it would be Chinese, wouldn't it? Just sayin'.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I didn't bother looking it up. Just took a guess that the Japanese zodiac would be much the same. Could be completely wrong.

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Could this relate to China's Chang'e lunar program & the Rabbit in the Moon?

6. Melanie Mulkern

Melanie Mulkern New Member

Yes I just looked into the Chinese folklore about the jade rabbit and the moon, and Chang’e the goddess. This figurine was likely made due to this folklore. Thanks so much

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted