Japanese porcelain ID

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bob W, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Bob W

Bob W Member

2. Bob W

Bob W Member

Hi - I uploaded the photo incorrectly so the signature does not have the proper orientation. I’m sure my error added to the confusion - mea culpa!

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That's very interesting, Bob. Can you attach a picture of the mark in the correct orientation, please?

4. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

66985967_3_x.jpg
    upload_2020-3-13_22-10-12.JPG
    Could be?

Bob W likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Where did you find that one, Mikey?

6. 916Bulldogs123

I was googling the name. this is the only one that showed the mark. Sorry i didn't save the link.

judy likes this.
  7. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

I would say the vase is Japanese. Characters are the same as Chinese, these are not phonetic, but "kanji" ("hanzi" in Chinese, meaning "Chinese characters" --- but no idea of age, etc. Can't help there.)

That's the correct orientation of the characters:

upload_2020-3-13_22-10-12~2.png

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I searched Matsukaze and only came up with meat and metal. I couldn't find any pottery.

9. Bob W

Bob W Member

That is it - thank you Bulldogs! The photo you posted is from the liveauctioneers site. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link here.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  10. Bob W

Bob W Member

11. Bob W

Bob W Member

Thank you for posting the photo, JayBee! Much appreciated.

judy likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Bob W and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  13. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

You are most welcome.

Bob W likes this.
  14. Bob W

Bob W Member

Thank you! I am familiar with this helpful site and have used it many times in the past. I'm happy to have identified the maker of my vase - all of the help here has been wonderful!

15. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

The writing being Chinese or Japanese in this instance appears to use the same Kanji, though their translation differs.
    Handwritten kanji is always more difficult to read than printed kanji.
    It visually looks like 才乙風, but I have doubts about the second kanji character.

16. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

how did you figure it out?

17. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

松風 Matsukaze
    The characters do fit. I actually had this an option for a possible translation but lack confidence in myself to put it forward. I'll take this as a lesson to be more confident.

Bob W likes this.
  18. Bob W

Bob W Member

I sent a photo to a curator at my local art museum who specializes in Asian porcelain and she confirmed it. Also got corroborating info from an Asian arts forum.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Bob W

Bob W Member

Couch Potato Wannabe you are a rockstar! I really appreciate your input. :happy:

20. 916Bulldogs123

Draft saved Draft deleted