Featured Japanese Porcelain Saucer.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Jun 13, 2021.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I found this porcelain saucer the other day. I feel that it is Japanese and my gut feeling is that it is a very early one. I haven't found another identical although I have found similar border patterns dated to c1700. It's about 13cm

Any thoughts?

John IMG_3678.jpeg IMG_3679.jpeg

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

That's a tough one, I certainly see what you mean with the pattern and the colours. The thing that make me hesitate is the soft gold which is a typical trait of the 1850-1920's period.

judy likes this.
  3. John Brassey

Thanks. I'm getting an expert to check it.

4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I did come across this, confirmed as 17th century:

Screenshot_2.jpg

Houseful and mmarco102 like this.
  5. John Brassey

Thanks again. There are certainly close similarities in style.

Ce BCA likes this.
  6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Agree, there is a lot of similarity including the way the colour is laid down - hopeful for you.

7. John Brassey

My expert tells me that the saucer is definitely c1700 . He showed me a bowl in his collection with a near identical pattern .

Any Jewelry, Houseful and Ce BCA like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted