Featured Japanese print ... any info appreciated

Discussion in 'Art' started by CheersDears, Jun 26, 2020.

1. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

I rediscovered this recently and think the quality of the printing is pretty amazing. The background has a silvery fleck which is difficult to photograph. It was bought at a Sydney auction more than 20 years ago and has some foxing, but I reckon it has a bit of age and is hand done. Any opinions/information most welcome. Thanks. P1110301.jpg P1110305.jpg P1110302.jpg P1110303.jpg P1110304.jpg

Attached Files:

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

looks like recut of an Utamaro

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Utamaro was my immediate thought too.

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

5. CheersDears

Thanks Blooey. Just took a crash course in Utamaro recuts and will now return to housework. "So, it's of value only to me," she sobbed into her bucket of diluted bleach. (He did a fine line in erotica, what? My eyes nearly popped out.)

6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Even as a recut (most in this condition are) it will have some value. It was probably produced by Watanabe.

Bronwen, Any Jewelry, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. CheersDears

Here it is on Worthpoint ... "pearl white mica ground" and all. I don't see the "publisher's 7mm round seal in the lower right corner". The colours are different, too -- much darker green, red and yellow. Hmmmm! The lines on mine are much more delicate. This Worthpoint woman has Frida eyebrows.

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 7.15.08 pm.png

Figtree3, Bronwen and judy like this.
  8. CheersDears

And this on eBay ... I think I will give up on woodblocks. Thanks Blooey and Bronwyn. Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 8.41.54 pm.png

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Even as a recut it is lovely.
    Frida had a mono-brow.;)

J Dagger and Bronwen like this.
  10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious:

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted