Japanese Satsuma Signature - 1893 Exhibition Piece?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mr2real, Apr 6, 2015.

1. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

This was a recent acquisition from a flea market. I didn't recognize the building, but knew it didn't look Japanese. After a little research and help from (olivialouis2005), the building has been identified as The Museum of Science and Industry (aka The Illinois Building). This was where artist exhibited their work during the Columbian Exposition in 1893 (aka World's Fair). I'm thinking that this vase may have been one of the exhibited pieces of art. It is clearly signed, but I have been unable to identify the Japanese maker. There is also the reminisce of a paper label on the bottom which I suspect was the exhibition label or a price tag from a piece sold at the fair. There are actually several records of the Japanese artist at the fair, but without a name identification is difficult. This piece measures 13" tall and about 6" in diameter at the widest point. Besides very minor wear and crazing, nothing is wrong with it. Here is a similar example which is about half the size, has a crack in the neck, and is unsigned - http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/satsuma-vase-chicago-columbian-exposition . It sold for $566.

Any help attributing this mark is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Joe

IMG_7437.JPG IMG_7436.JPG IMG_7434.JPG IMG_7435.JPG IMG_7432.JPG IMG_7431.JPG

dgbjwc likes this.
  2. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    mr2real likes this.
  3. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

Thanks for the reply. Why would you doubt it's the Illinois Building? They look almost identical to me. Especially for an artist possibly relying on photos to paint it.

4. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

Would that be a Japanese building/

5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

A lot of those exposition buildings were similar.

6. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

The roof structure is clearly different and at the right edge on your photo there seems to be a large arched entrance not in the Chicago building. Plus, there are the Japanese figures on the street.

Not that this is decisive if artists in Japan were drawing a building in Chicago, but it does, as I said, raise some doubts. Without more, I wouldn't regard your id as conclusive.

7. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

Maybe it is another building from Chicago. The Illinois Building is actually the last remaining of several buildings which were used during the worlds fair. The building with the arch is shown in this photo along with several other buildings with similar architecture to the one on the vase. I've also read from several sources that artist Kinkozan exhibited and sold his work during the 1893 fair. I'm waiting on a reply from Christie's and a couple of other auction houses, so I'll update if I get any new information.

image.jpg

8. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

Also, the flags are red, white, and blue. The odds of this being a Japanese building constructed in the style of American architecture and flying American colors seems extremely unlikely.

9. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

Are you familiar with Osaka City Central Hall? Or Taipei's Presidential Office Building, built during Japanese rule? This was precisely the style of architecture once used in Japan and her colonies for monumental civic structures.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    kentworld likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted