Featured Japanese Stand w Pillows

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Penelope, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Penelope

Penelope Member

I found this at the estate sale of a Japanese women. This is the one piece that I had no idea what it was, I just really liked it. The two silk pillows are 8.25" X 6" and connected together with loose thread . That is the yellow thread you see at the top that should it be cut would then be removed. The stand is very nice wood and it fits together like a puzzle. It measures 7.75" wide X 5.25" deep X 5 1/8" tall. It seems to be too tall for a sleeping pillow, too small and short for an arm rest. Colors look to be 1960 or before. Any ideas?
    IMG_E2782.JPG IMG_E2787.JPG IMG_E2783.JPG IMG_E2785.JPG IMG_E2786.JPG

Any Jewelry, aaroncab and komokwa like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's certainly what it looks like. And the kind of thing someone would bring home as a souvenir.

Debora

38dd7fc34b8f020bfd2ff6d43f0634d6.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

It's not a pillow or a headrest - it's a kneeling stool.

You place it behind you, and you can rest yourself on it while you're in a kneeling position on the floor. Traditionally, they were meant to pull apart and fold away all compact and pocket-sized, so that you could carry it around places with you.

kingcake, kyratango, Penelope and 8 others like this.
  5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

This is the modern version, but it works exactly the same way:

[​IMG]

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

What Shangas said.;)

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

There are times I could use one of those.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

My knees aren't very happy with those.:inpain: The same with those meditation stools, do you know those?

Bronwen likes this.
  9. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I would last about a nanosecond sitting in that position. :inpain::inpain::inpain::inpain:

kyratango, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Penelope

Penelope Member

Wow, I agree with that, it makes sense in every way. Thank you SO much for the info.

kyratango, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I'd be in that position until someone came to rescue me. OUCH!!! :(

12. Bronwen

Isn't the point of them to take some pressure off your knees? I thought about it & decided meditation was not for me.

Hope they'd come get me next. I could not survive in a society where chairs were not available.

Any Jewelry, kyratango and bercrystal like this.
  13. bercrystal

I had avoided getting down on my hands & knees since 2015 when I had the first knee replacement. :p:p

A couple of months ago I was here by myself when a cord came unplugged from the back of my computer. :eek::eek::eek: I slid down to the floor from my desk chair & managed to plug it back in. I also cleaned out the fur ball that was around the area. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

However, I then had to get back up off the floor. I tried every which I could think of till I finally gave up & got myself to a kneeling position. :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

I told the DH when he came back to the house that if I ever had to get into that position again, I would just remain in that position till someone could help me back up. As God is my witness I will never be in a kneeling position again especially on hardwood floors. :inpain::inpain::inpain::inpain::inpain::inpain: :facepalm::facepalm:

14. bercrystal

If I ever get into meditation it will be in a Lazy-Boy chair with the foot rest in the upright position. ;) :D:D :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

15. Bronwen

Hope while there you cleaned off the fur caught on the grille over the intake fan. I have to remember to do this now & then. Usually a pretty appalling accumulation. Luckily I don't have to take my fanny off the chair seat to do it.

bercrystal and kyratango like this.
  16. bercrystal

I can reach the side one without much effort at all since the DH built me a little stand to hold my tower & back up battery off the floor. The one in back just gets a blast of canned air occasionally. :hilarious::hilarious:

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  17. Penelope

Penelope Member

I'm so grateful that my current desktop computer is about the size of a two cigar boxes side by side. It makes all that maintenance and cleaning so much easier. :)

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and bercrystal like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

It is not the kneeling/sitting, it is the getting up. I would need one of these on standby:

[​IMG]

bercrystal, Bakersgma and Bronwen like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

I meditate daily, but sit in a comfy chair. It works much better for me anyway.:)

bercrystal, Bakersgma and Bronwen like this.
  20. Bronwen

You don't have cats, do you? They have a whole other idea of what people in comfy chairs are for.

bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted