Japanese Tea Ceremony set help ID some pottery.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 916Bulldogs123, Feb 8, 2020.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I have this what was called a Japanese tea Ceremony set. with bamboo pieces and pottery. The wood box is Chabako wood.
    But i need some help to ID this pottery. None is marked
    The black bowl looks to be Raku ware?
    The tea caddy looks like Imari.
    Also the little lacquer box and the pottery bamboo stalk trinket box were in the box also
    The rest I have no clue.
    Also those little bamboo brush things? what are they called.
    If there is anything that further pictures are required please let me know.

Mikey

atree 23082.jpg
    atree 23085.jpg
    atree 23084.jpg atree 23084.jpg
    atree 23086.jpg
    atree 23087.jpg
    atree 23088.jpg
    atree 23089.jpg atree 23090.jpg atree 23091.jpg atree 23083.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

If that polychrome ceramic jar with lid is what you are calling the "caddy," I think it's not. Are any marks on the bottom? A caddy should have a tighter lid than typical ceramic will provide.

And I don't think it;s Japanese either. Certainly not is Imari.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Sorry - I went back to read and see that "nothing is marked."

Those brush things are driving me crazy. I think they are actually like whisks, but how that relates to tea I don't know.

The one thing this "set" is missing is a tea pot.

judy and i need help like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Bakersgma

At least they called the "brush thing" a whisk! But there's still no pot?

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  6. 916Bulldogs123

7. Bakersgma

8. 916Bulldogs123

I guess the caddy is the little Lacquer ware piece. Small amount of tea though.

9. 916Bulldogs123

the larger piece with the lid is for water..

10. Bakersgma

Yes - the other looked way too large for tea storage anyway. And it looks like the tea is made in the "tea bowls" not a pot. Who knew?

11. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

They are whisks, made of bamboo by splitting the a bamboo core into tiny limbs. Artist signed ones can be very expensive. They are used to mix matcha (green tea powder) with hot water in the tea bowl. The bamboo stick is a spoon used to place the matcha into the tea bowl. Tea bowls can be like the black one or wider lipped for summer tea. The lacquer caddy is hold the matcha powder. The lidded ceramic canister is to hold cold water. The wood ladle is to scoop out the cold water. Search tea ceremony preparation and you should get a lot of information.

patd8643, Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  12. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

13. 916Bulldogs123

None of the sets I have seen have the heating equipment

14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have a wonderful whisk that the piece of bamboo was split into hundreds of threads. It is signed and about 75 years old. It was a gift from a Japanese diplomat for some work I helped him with 30 years ago. It came in a fitted box which in deed a treasure in it's self.
    greg

trip98 and Bakersgma like this.
  15. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Looks to me you have a caddy (cha-ire) and an assortment of (chawan) bowls, spring, summer, autumn, and winter. Whisk, water dipper, waste water container and really everything you need to make that revolting drink:shy::D

16. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Most don't. Just saying the water has to be heated to make the tea which is another bunch of interesting items.

17. 916Bulldogs123

So how come it is called a set? all the bowls and containers are different. are some older than others? and which one is the waste container, the pink one?

18. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Not calling it a set as a matched set more accurate your set-up. Just a simple way to refer to your lot. BTW a matched set in Japanese culture is five pieces not six. So when you find 5 matching ie saki cups, bowls etc, there isn't one missing.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  19. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

PS I am by no means an expert in Tea Ceremony or Japanese culture. I learned a few things by selling several Japanese & Chinese household estates.

20. 916Bulldogs123

more than me!

Draft saved Draft deleted