Featured Japanese Tea Scoop? marking

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jenzy, Jan 28, 2024.

1. Jenzy

Jenzy Member

Hi there,

I came across this pretty ceramic thingy, I’m pretty sure it’s a tea scoop, but don’t know that for 100% sure. Do you know what it is? Also, it has markings on the bottom, but I can barely see them, let alone getting a good enough photo to share, but I’ve tried here. What I’m curious to know is if anyone might be able to point me in a good direction to find out what and by whom this lovely thing is and was created by (if the marking on the bottom looks familiar etc). Thank you for taking the time! IMG_1701.jpeg IMG_1700.jpeg IMG_1699.jpeg

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like a dresser tray for bobby pins...& way too much nautical themed for tea...
    imo

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, Jenzy. I also think it is some kind of a trinket tray or dresser tray.
    The tea leaves would fall out on the sides, because the shell has two upward curves in the middle of the lip.

Btw, are you sure it is Japanese?

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Very indistinct, but it looks like there might be marks:
    00000ccaaab.jpg

But it ain't necessarily so.

komokwa likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what's the bottom look like ?

6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I also think it's a trinket tray.
    A tea scoop would be unlikely to have that grooved interior, the grooves of which are not in the direction of pouring and would therefore catch the tea leaves inside. And, as already, stated, it seems unlikely that such a strongly sea-related item would be used for a tea ceremony... leaf shapes yes, but a shell...?

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted