Featured Japanese Tea set handwritten mark need help to identify

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Carda, Nov 2, 2022.

1. Carda

Carda New Member

Hi,
    I am receiving my grandmother's Japanese tea set. Probably acquired IMG_1341.jpg in Scotland in the 1920's. Could anyone help us get a sense of the date and where it may have come from? So far it looks like other Kutani styles we have seen online, and the back mark is handwritten in black on each piece.
    IMG_1344.jpg

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Yes it is Kutani, and yes 1920's is about right for the date. The first character of the mark is 山 but I can't work out the other.

Figtree3, Boland, kentworld and 4 others like this.
  3. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Can't tell for sure, but it looks like egg shell porcelain (very thin and translucent) which was popular in the first third of the 20th c.

Figtree3 and Boland like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @Carda .

5. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Looks nice. If you wind up selling maybe do auction rather than buy it now. I listed a couple nice Kutani cups recently. I was trying to move some stuff quickly and didn’t do my proper research. I listed them cheaply and they sold within minutes straight to Japan. I likely underpriced them by quite a bit. Kicked myself as one does. I’m guessing the market for good Kutani must be there based on my experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted