Featured Japanese tea-set?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Elizabeth Baird, Dec 15, 2023.

1. Elizabeth Baird

Elizabeth Baird New Member

Hi everyone

This must be at least 50 years old as I used to look at it in my grandmother’s china cabinet when I was aged four.

My grandfather bought it home to my grandmother one day after work. He was a stevedore at the Dunedin (New Zealand) wharf and they used to pilfer like crazy back in those days. Although he never told my grandmother where he got it from, she always suspected that he stole it. For that reason, and because it featured dragons (she was a strict Jehovah’s Witness), she never liked it.

I was offered it by my aunt when my grandmother died in 1993. It was in my china cabinet for a few years, but I have mostly kept it in storage. I have another fancy tea-set that I love, so I have never used it. I know that my grandmother never used it either.

Can anyone tell me anything about it? Would have been made in Japan? Was it cheap china at the time? Is it bone china or porcelain? How would it have been made, and on what scale? Would the relief dragons have been hand painted? If so, in a factory or by people working from home? It looks like it has two minuscule chips on the teapot, or are they imperfections? How much would it be worth if I wanted to sell it (undecided)?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions.

Elizabeth x IMG_1708.jpeg IMG_1709.jpeg IMG_1712.jpeg IMG_1711.jpeg

kentworld, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It's Japanese moriage dragon ware. Plenty of these pop up when you do a google lens search.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Moriage is the Japanese name of the decorating technique. It was very popular from the late 19th to mid 20th century.

Maybe @916Bulldogs123 or @Ce BCA can tell you more about your set.

I love dragons, btw.:)

4. Elizabeth Baird

I love them too. I have a collection of dragon ornaments. My favourite is Ethelred Flametail praying because he’s about to jump off a cliff with tiny wee wings.

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Elizabeth Baird

LOL. I searched on the name you gave and they’re as common as muck!

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Are there any markings on the bottom of any of the pieces?

Elizabeth Baird and Bronwen like this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

They're popular. If you are going to sell, be sure to use "moriage dragonware" in your description.

If you hold a cup up to the light, do you see an image in the bottom? That would be a lithophane and really help with salability.

Houseful, Elizabeth Baird and Bronwen like this.
  8. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me anything about it? Would have been made in Japan?
    Yes, during the inter-war period, probably 1930's.

Was it cheap china at the time?
    Yes, these were in-expensive sets made for export, it was also a troubled time in Japan and quality took a big nosedive at this time. It's relative of course as not many working class people could afford them in the 1930's as the working class had far less spending power at the time.

Is it bone china or porcelain?
    It is fine porcelain from Japanese clay.

How would it have been made, and on what scale?
    Hand made and hand decorated in smallish workshops and potbanks. They had basic production lines and they were made in large quantities by many smaller businesses rather than a few large ones.

Would the relief dragons have been hand painted? If so, in a factory or by people working from home?
    Yes, all hand painted at this period including the trailed clay. Some workshops did outsource painting, but records are very sketchy.

It looks like it has two minuscule chips on the teapot, or are they imperfections? How much would it be worth if I wanted to sell it (undecided)?
    Pics are too small to make any useful determination of the damage/imperfections, yes any faults will have some impact. Regarding value they are not of interest to the Japanese home market. In the UK these are common and not popular so prices are very weak here - they are a bit more popular in the US. Not sure about your home market, check ebay.

I was offered it by my aunt when my grandmother died in 1993. It was in my china cabinet for a few years, but I have mostly kept it in storage. I have another fancy tea-set that I love, so I have never used it. I know that my grandmother never used it either.
    They are best not used, they don't stand up well and some of the paints can contain heavy metals - safe to handle, but no licking!

Overall it's a basic type at the lower end of the market, there are many around, they are not practical and just decorative. So if it's sentimental I would keep it, you are not going to get a lot for it.

kentworld, bluumz, Bakersgma and 5 others like this.
  9. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I agree with what @Ce BCA said .You can't get a better answer!

10. Elizabeth Baird

Thank you so much for answering every question. I find them even more fascinating now. It occurred to me when I was referring to my dragon ornament collection that I should display it beside them in my brand new display cabinet (just built from flat pack last night). The set is covered in dragons! LOL. ❤️☺️

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Elizabeth Baird

You’re definitely right about that! A better answer than I could have ever hoped for. What a wonderful bunch of friendly, helpful people you are. Gidday from New Zealand.

12. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

You're welcome. There is one more thing about the decoration I can add for you. At the time most potting was done by men and much of the painting and decoration was done by women and children.

Draft saved Draft deleted