Featured Japanese teapot - can anyone read whodunnit?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by evelyb30, Jan 19, 2023.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I found this itty bitty (about 3.5x4.25 inches including re-attached handle and pour spout) hand-painted teapot today. The handle was off but present, but the price was right. Ten cents, eleven with the tax. What I thought was old glue was apparently a good 50 years of dirt if not more. Took a damp q-tip to it and cleaned off some gunk. However, I don't read Japanese. It has something hand painted on the outside, and a blue underglaze mark inside the lid. The design is straight Japanese.

My guess is this was kinda-sorta made for export, maybe 1880s but????

DSCF9238.JPG DSCF9239.JPG DSCF9240.JPG DSCF9242.JPG DSCF9243.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I can't read Japanese, but this model with a handle on the side is called a kyusu, if that helps.

kyratango, komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  3. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I love it! Truly! Dunno what the characters in the cartouche might say -- probably an adage or bit of a poem -- but if you want to exercise your eyes a lot, you might find that mark on gotheborg.com. I might give it a whirl myself later if someone else doesn't chime in first.

komokwa likes this.
  4. evelyb30

I tried running Google translate over it and got gibberish, so I will if I have to I guess.

5. evelyb30

Tried again, but the lighting wasn't the greatest. Someone messaged me with a translation for the part hand painted on the outside. It ID's the scene as Kyoto. DSCF9244.JPG DSCF9245.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted