Japanese Teapot Mark identification HELP!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by GreenEyedGal, Aug 29, 2021.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I must say that shape is fabulous ! I dont recall ever seeing that style in Kutani or Satsuma.

judy likes this.
  2. GreenEyedGal

GreenEyedGal Well-Known Member

997CDE82-1865-4C8A-86D2-1096A1E7B4E2.jpeg 4236CEA8-A636-43B4-842C-FB8CFDC9DB29.jpeg

DizzyDaff, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

"I am going to post a photo of one of the cups , it feels delicate to me like porcelain, but again ‍♀️"

Yes, it is porcelain, and Kutani. Great to still have cups with the teapot, it is a nice and colourful set.

BoudiccaJones, i need help and judy like this.
  4. GreenEyedGal

Thank you ,
    I am posting from a phone , and sometimes it tells me the ( error) to big - so I move on to next largest photo I can - very new obviously lol! thank you again - computer gets here on the 10th thank goodness!

i need help likes this.
  5. GreenEyedGal

Wonderful Thank you for your help

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

You're welcome. Your set has an added bonus to me, it has fans on it, and I am a fan collector.:)

GreenEyedGal, judy and i need help like this.
  7. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

I've had this problem so many times on the Internet. I am not shouting!

Capital letters do not mean I am shouting....Sound and audiology does not come through on my computer. Capital letters are used to make words stand out; To make more of an impression to a readers eyes; to signify a headline.

I was going to make the words 'I am not shouting' in all caps to make them stand out, but then I decided not to.

8. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

9. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

Hi Tahmoor girl.

Did you post a picture of an item, I recall seeing a japanese pottery cup with a japanese backmark, It would be a great help to see all of the object, it appears like it might be mid 20th century Japanese satsuma. However it might Mieji, it really helps to see the whole item to guage quality and other attributes.

P.s It was not that you were shouting, indeed one cannot shout through a computer, but you kind of hijacked Greeneyeds thread on Kutani a little early and created a tangent about satumsa that perhaps confused people.

Usually it is okay to introduce new items once the OP item has been thoroughly commented on and a determination given especially as Kutani and Satuma are two peas in a pod. Ideally you coudl start your own trhead and try get soem more pictures either here or on a new thread, but here is just fine. Most people missed yoru satsuma item.

10. Tahmoor girl

Ok, Ok, You win! It's not worth fighting about.
    Antique Japanese Satsuma porcelain lidded vase hand painted Marked H26cm | eBay

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Capital letters are used to make words stand out; To make more of an impression to a readers eyes; to signify a headline.

It can be done in other more effective ways.....

12. Tahmoor girl

The search was simply for 'Satsuma', many sub-catagories appeared on the page and one was 'Marks on Satsuma Porcelain'. This error needs to be corrected because a lot of people will be fooled.

13. Tahmoor girl

14. Tahmoor girl

15. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

Writing in caps IS ( see?) considered shouting and it's rude. As Komo says...if you want to emphasise what's wrong with this? Or even this?

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Tahmoor girl

Well I'll try to whisper next time! Hahahaha

17. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with winning, it's about getting the information correct so people who reference this site in future see the right information. There is so much incorrect and false information around about antiques that it's important for sites like this to be a beacon of light in the mire. I post here in hope it might lead some people to make better choices when buying so they can perhaps see through the errors and false information found on many online platforms.

This item is (sort of) Satsuma, but it's not porcelain, it is clearly pottery from the images - the seller has made an error. Indeed it's doesn't even appear to be true Satsuma, as it seems to be a basic white earthenware, not the cream clay used by original Satsuma ware). This is what we are trying to help correct, you can't trust random sellers details on the internet. The decorative style is more in keeping with Kutani, and it was probably painted by a workshop that did more Kutani than Satsuma. It is also late, it will be Showa period when the Japanese potters were struggling and casting around to try and prop up falling sales. The price is 'ouch' for what it is.

This is very clearly a Kutani teapot, everything about it says Kutani from the colour, the shape and the porcelain body. It's not Satsuma, the picture is an auto scrape for a category heading, and no doubt picked up because someone mislabelled it!

So you see you can't just rely on internet searches, ebay or etsy to find out information about antiques. You need reference books, visits to museums, visits to professional dealers to handle vetted stock. There are professional dealers online and on ebay, but they are the minority. If the subject is of interest for you why not try and find some links to professional dealers stock, not google or bing pics. Search for Kutani Teapots and Satsuma Teapots and note the differences.

18. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

Well...can't say you're not good natured,credit where it's due :)

komokwa, Any Jewelry and Boland like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Maybe you can learn from those many times + one?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  20. Any Jewelry

All of the above, couldn't agree more.

The problem is, some people who are new to antiques don't look at old threads, but just barge in with misinformation they just found on the internet. And then there are those who dig in their heels and have to be right no matter what.

Providing information is not a competition, it is about providing the right information. Together we make up a forum to do that, and we rely on each other to correct mistakes. That is the only way to actually help people.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    kyratango, DizzyDaff, KSW and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted