Japanese? thin porcelain hand painted vase - need help with marks please.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bercrystal, Jun 2, 2016.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

This vase was part of a shelf lot, so I have very little invested, but before I put it into the TS box I wanted to run it by the gang. It has some damage to the top edge & unless it is something special I am not going to bother with listing it.

It is a very thin porcelain with a hand painted, which is quite well done & is 8 7/8" tall. There is an oval with Japanese? characters on the back & is marked on the bottom. Both marks appear to be done after the glaze was applied.

I tried looking at Gotheborg, but either I missed it or it is not shown.

Any ideas about age, translation of the marks & what the image is suppose to represent would be much appreciated.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank you for any & all advice or opinions!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss:
    Peggy

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think it is Chinese, but I don't know how old.

It's called Boy in the Window - and there are many variations.
    If the porcelain is really thin, I would think older than a newer import.
    Could be 1890s or 1930s.

There is a site that shows the different variations of the boy. But I haven't had any luck finding it.

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Hi, your vase is Chinese indeed, it has a spurious Qianlong mark and dates likely to the late 1940s. On Gotheborg see the mark on a similar vase under "Later Chinese Porcelain" No 1377.
    Mat

4. Wanttoknow

Wanttoknow Well-Known Member

Sorry @bercrystal I am asking thru your Threads, but I think my "Grandpa with two boys look like relatives to your family from vase".:joyful: Though my mark looks different.
    @Mat, could you please check mine?.... Please... :shy:
    DSC01472.JPG DSC01473.JPG DSC01470.JPG DSC01474.JPG

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    lauragarnet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted