Japanese Vase, American Arts & Crafts Style, Marked

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mr2real, Nov 25, 2014.

1. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

This is my find for the day. It has very high quality matte hand painted decoration. It actually reminds me of some the American arts & crafts makers, like Rookwood and Newcomb. I'm not sure what to make of the subject matter, ladies running silhouette. I'm almost certain the mark within the square is the signature of the artist or company. I've search gotoberg and couldn't find anything. Measurements, 6.5" tall and 5" diameter. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

IMG_4627.JPG IMG_4628.JPG IMG_4629.JPG IMG_4630.JPG mark.jpg

2. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

This is Satsuma ware done by the Kinkozan family. This appears to a Kinkozan tsukuru mark. The Gotheborg website of "Japanese Porcelain Marks" says the following about Kinkozan:

"The Kinkozan family of potters were active from 1645 until 1927 after which the factory closed. The background is that approximately around 1875 Kobayashi Sobei (1824-84) (artist name Kinkozan IV) started to export his products together with the Kyoto manufacturer Taizan VIII. The market was in particular America. Their main production period were approximately between 1875-1927 under the leadership of Kinkozan V (1868-1927)."

This particular mark is the same as #875 and #1241 under the Kinkozan section. #1241 marks are dated early 1920s. Scroll about 1/3rd of the way down the page to the "Kinkozan" section. Then scroll on down to 875 and the 1241 numbers.
    http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/satsuma.shtml

--- Susan

gregsglass likes this.
  5. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

Thanks Susan!!! Someone replied on the other forum saying it was Kinkozan Sobei VII. I'm wondering if Kinkozan tsukuru is referred to as Kinkozan Sobei VII.

Draft saved Draft deleted