Japanese (?) Water Diorama - How to Arrange?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, Jan 19, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

It looks like the name for the tray is a suiban. I have found some with the similar stamped appearance, all of which are from the Meiji period, but all are signed. So I don't think mine is from this same period but rather a reproduction of this style. Is there anyone who knows anything about suibans? @Ownedbybear - I've noticed you commenting on Japanese stuff. Any ideas?

Similar signed piece.

1716_1.jpg
    1716_11.jpg

JAPANESE MEIJI PERIOD BRONZE MINI SUIBAN PLANTER WITH SPIDER BY MURATA SEIMINSOLD - Oriental Treasure Box

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    komokwa likes this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

So excited. I asked the dealer who had the piece described above about my suiban. Here is what he said:

"Both of the suiban are cast metal (probably bronze) with molded basket-weave pattern. Yours also has bamboo leaves in the design. Both design subjects are common in Japanese decorate arts. Bamboo can symbolize such things as longevity & strength.

Other than that there isn't much else to say, other than their obvious utilitarian function as vessels for ikebana (flower arranging).

Their appeal is mainly for actual use and decorative appeal in such arrangements, and not so much as art pieces alone. More ornate or sculpturally modeled examples can have art quality however."

So it appears that the figures and the tray were not originally intended to be together. Whether they were used together is a matter of conjecture. The size differential (large tray - tiny figures) should had told me that. The item was described as "Chinese Heirloom" at the resale shop, so who knows if they even were donated together.

So now I have another lead for research. Will keep you posted.

bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Another with the same weave - also characterized as the Meiji period

"Vessel - Bronze - mark: "cast by Ojima Komin from Great Japan" - Heavy oblong bronze water basin (suiban), depicting wickerwork and kiku flowers in relief - Japan - Meiji period (1868-1912)"

d0ec5da2-33d9-4b79-a1e4-c8b864b232b5.jpg thumb5_62a6f550-5fbe-4b42-8331-4af7a49aa0ec.jpg

kyratango, bercrystal and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted