Japanese Woodblock of Battle of Shijōnawate with unknown Date/Artist

Discussion in 'Art' started by rickkeller, Jul 20, 2020.

1. rickkeller

rickkeller Member

Thanks to everyone for the help. I cut each panel out and image search got a hit on all 3 but still no info. I have a question out to the Q&A of Ukiyo-e

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Will you come to update this thread with any replies that you get?

3. rickkeller

rickkeller Member

4. rickkeller

rickkeller Member

Do you know how to post images to the ukiyo-e.org site so they are embedded and hosted on their site? There is an option image URL link when you post but if I use an external host the images aren't embedded. I notice most peoples images are hosted on their server data.ukiyo-e.org.

5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

No, sorry. You will have to communicate with them on that.

6. rickkeller

rickkeller Member

Update...It is weird because I have the exact 3 panels that is in the database and in the catalog so although there might be other panels with the info, all 3 of us have only those 3 panels.
    ------------------------------

Posted by Alec W. (174.105.163.103) on July 30, 2020 at 04:30:43:

In Reply to: Tips on finding unknown artist/date of w posted by Rick Keller on July 30, 2020 at 02:25:23:

This one is tough because there's no signature, no publisher seal, and no censor or date seal. It's quite odd to see a design like this without any of those things; I don't know what to make of that. Possibly it means the original design had more sheets and the "missing" info was on one of those other sheets, but that's just a guess.

Anyway, I did find an impression of this in a Mizui Hanga catalog; it is listed as "artist unknown", published 1850s. The format is certainly consistent with the work of Kuniyoshi or his students from that period, but I couldn't hazard a more specific attribution.

Have a look at catalog item 251 (楠正行四条縄手合):

http://www.mizui-hanga.com/pdf/mokuroku32_p27-52.pdf

Good luck,
    -A

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted