Japanese Woodblock or Print? Toyokuni

Discussion in 'Art' started by Happy!, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

DS on vacation eyed this today and they are leaving tomorrow afternoon. Wondering if this has good value or not. Priced at $30, which is good, but I imagine he would buy to resell. See many on eB going from $10-$300, maybe more..Again, I know just enough to be dangerous.

By Toyokuni and subject is Kabuki actor Iwai. He guestimated around 30 inches. Not sure what the markings mean, and if they indicate this is a reissue, if that is even done. The colors seem quite bright for this to be so old, so I am a bit skeptical.
    upload_2022-10-24_23-9-27.png
    upload_2022-10-24_23-9-54.png

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

I'd look at it close up with a loupe, to see what kind of print it is

If you see lots of dots up close, it's a modern print

If not, $30 dollars seems cheap, frame is probably worth that

I get the impression it's got at least some age

I'd buy it, just on the look of these pics

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    Happy! likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If buying for yourself and you want to hang it, it's hard to lose. Wood blocks have been reproduced early and often, and even the real ones are worth a lot less than they used to be.

Figtree3, Happy! and charlie cheswick like this.
  4. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

They way I look at it is, it probably cost a couple hundred to frame and it looks nice. I would get it just to put up. Woodblocks are something you get a feel for, after you see enough you can just tell. Like Charlie said, a good look with a loupe can tell you a lot.

Figtree3, charlie cheswick and Happy! like this.
  5. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

They were able to get a close-up, but it isn't very clear...
    upload_2022-10-26_17-15-40.png

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's impossible for me to tell from that...

Happy! likes this.
  7. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Yep, it was pretty unclear there. The edges make me think a woodblock though. In the end, they did not buy it, but may go back to the area with a loupe next time...Interesting part to me was that I could not seem to find this specific image anywhere else on the web. I did give up after several searches, so maybe I missed it.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted