Jean Louis Kaftan - Advice Please

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by BMRT, Jan 20, 2020.

1. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

While out antique/vintage hunting this afternoon I went out to a neighboring city and visited a mall I’ve never been in.

It’s a standard location full of a mix of booths and items. In one stall I found a dress-robe looking piece which I feel would be best described as a Kaftan. Long, up to the neck, long sleeves and slits up the sides. The front allowed it to be fastened from neck to hem in small cloth buttons. It was a thick heavy material and looked of silver/grey silk with heavy silver and gold threading especially embellishing the sleeves, neck and hems. I really regret not taking a picture of the item. The one tag I was able to find before I was crowded out of the booth said Jean Louis. I haven’t done my research on who that is yet since I’m not home on my big computer.

The asking price was $40. One thing to note was a weird off-yellow looking stain on the inside of the robe/dress. It looked almost like rust but it’s not visible on the outside. Is there anyway of removing something like this from silk?

I’ve had a quiet regret of not bringing it with me. Is this worth an hour drive to find it again and pick up in your opinions?

2. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

3. BMRT

April07 likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. BMRT

6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Their prices are all incredibly high for everything. They sell stuff though.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

There are some Jean Louis pieces on eBay. Prices more modest. Evening, of course, commands premium.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted