Jesse James Wanted sign found!!! Need Help

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by BeaufortBullion, Jun 29, 2017.

?

What do you think?

1. Real?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Fake?

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. BeaufortBullion

BeaufortBullion New Member

20170629_183735.jpg jessejames.jpg 20170629_135006.jpg I found Jesse James wanted poster at a thrift store in a bundle of old magazine advertisements. Many date to 50s and 60s. I was shocked when I found this print. I was wondering if anyone has any info on these prints or how to validate. Obviously there are more fakes than authentic. The paper is very browned, and brittle. An y help would be appreciated.

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'm fairly certain this is a modern souvenir item.

3. BeaufortBullion

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Any company with class marked reproductions as such.
    Unless it has chipped away.

5. KingofThings

Sounds like a cheesy offer for JJ too.

6. KingofThings

7. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

For what it is worth, all the real JJ wanted posters I've seen had "DEAD OR ALIVE" printed on them.

Patrisha and KingofThings like this.
  8. KingofThings

Are there any raw, recently chipped, areas on it or is every single thing 'aged' equally?

9. BeaufortBullion

It was crumpling when I first touched it, and the bottom looks darker and more aged than the rest.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. BeaufortBullion

From what I have seen, this is the earlier one before he really became Public Enemy number one.

Baalidun and KingofThings like this.
  11. BeaufortBullion

KingofThings likes this.
  12. KingofThings

We're trying. :)
    It's only been up for two hours and it's late so you may have more input tomorrow.
    And welcome. :)

judy and komokwa like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

https://store.ushistory.org/products/jesse-james-500-reward-poster

genuine wanted posters are scarce not only because they were printed on cheap paper and designed to be thrown away whenever a fugitive was caught or died, but also because “there are so many fakes and reproductions. People have been printing phony wanted posters for years—for fun, for Hollywood and to deceive—so it’s tricky to find authentic ones in the mix.”

KingofThings and judy like this.
  14. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I'm guessing that one will be busted as soon as someone familiar with the printing fonts used on real posters weighs in. The fonts don't look right to me, but I'm no ex-spurt. Is all the underlining under JJ name an authentic practice?

15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It's neat, but the ink and text just look to be too "CRISP" to me, IMHO......

16. KingofThings

Seems it is but that appears to actually be copy not lines.

17. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The bumpiness of the paper is too uniform. My opinion - tourist souvenir made to look old. I have a map of goldmines that I got in a tourist shop in Arizona when my son was little and it's printed on the same kind of paper and artificially aged.

the blacksmith and KingofThings like this.
  18. KingofThings

That is a great point Bev. :)

19. Baalidun

Baalidun New Member

Made to crumple, be brittle? Bought at a thrift store? SOMEONE would have said something. A lucky find, or a hoax? It looks real as hell, it would fetch a fair price, it appears to have evidence of being framed once, which THAT tore. https://www.google.com/amp/amp.history.com/news/jesse-james-wanted-poster-goes-up-for-auction
    Id ask a wild West expert, one History channel. For real, nice score either way, he'll probably entertain it. But it looks baked...but it was framed once, see?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=genuine+$500+for+the+arrest+and+conviction+of+jesse+james&client=ms-android-americamovil-us&source=android-browser&prmd=svin&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjT8-mvs6vVAhUJKCYKHZRnDxwQ_AUIDCgD&biw=320&bih=406&dpr=1.5#imgrc=a8xyj-mjdg2H7M:

This looks like a reproduction because the ink for the clothing is clearly bolder and darker than genuine posters, signifying a good roasting by an article from a real historical society, printed to look fake. But I'd ask that history channel guy. I say fake, possibly real, and washing my idle hands because I actually did study these once this year already

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  20. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Back in the late 60s early 70s Wanted posters for various people were easily purchased in souvenir stores. They were printed on crinkeld parchment. Just like the souvenir confederate money.

Is there a college or museum near you?
    The only way you will find out if it is real, is to take it to someone who specializes in paper.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted