Featured Jewellery, take a peek!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Hello again,
    Yesterday was passing by a charity shop, and in the window was a brooch that call me in. I ended up buying the below pieces, sone I was able to research, on some I would like your opinion, numbers 6,7,8, 1, 2, 11.
    I would appreciate your comments on any of the items.
    Will publish tomorrow, the brooch that wink at me, lol.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona
    @Any Jewelry
    @kyratango
    @Bronwen
    @PepperAnna
    @kyratango
    @Ce BCA
    @Aquitaine
    @mirana
    @evelyb30

A7D1B707-5C06-4143-A2A4-FFBA05829427.jpeg 4F956EC6-D012-44F0-BF30-529D1507116A.jpeg 2BBAECE0-5420-4E2D-B196-72AFBE42C810.jpeg 9CB3CB78-7042-4483-8333-19AA7098AA6B.jpeg 3D9AE737-F054-4B7F-9065-B2F6BFC36E2D.jpeg B757EDE5-805F-4DC1-B87A-72E68F944012.jpeg E62F1DBF-2BE3-43CE-B3AB-E647DF51CCC6.jpeg 925C5CE2-5055-48EC-BE7F-7209D4ECA0B8.jpeg A2C49896-A2FE-4196-B280-0521DB75C88B.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
    Figtree3, KSW, NewEngland and 2 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

#1 is a silver and sponge coral ring. Sponge coral is a non-precious coral that has a sponge-like structure. It is often pressed to a more solid state for jewellery.

3. Any Jewelry

#8, the dragon pendant, looks like it could be Japanese. The lozenge shaped mark also looks Japanese. It should have the fineness in the lozenge, but I can't see it very well.
    The rectangular mark could say "pure silver" or something similar. It is all too blurred to see.:(

Simona could you please post a clear photo of the marks?

4. Simona Buhus

Yes, this looks very different than any coral I have seen before, it looks like broken little bits of stone glued together.
    Would this ring have a so called style? Is it vintage, or just made to look vintage?
    Thank you.

KSW and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. Simona Buhus

I will try to take a better picture, will post soon.

KSW, johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Yes, it is pressed, so the sponge-like chambers are crushed together. It is probably helped along a bit with some sort of binding agent, but I know little about costume jewellery.
    Cheap and cheerful.:playful: It could have been made by a hobbyist silversmith.
    Not very old, but nothing was done to age it. Could be vintage, but this is one of those cases where age doesn't matter. It simply is what it is.

KSW, johnnycb09 and Simona Buhus like this.
  7. Simona Buhus

Here it is, hope it’s clearer.
    AEA33F15-ADE7-4C58-82E7-9E32A33DCE81.jpeg

8. Any Jewelry

Thanks. The top mark includes the character for silver, which is about all I can read. The character is used in China, Korea and Japan, so those are the suspects.;) I see you tagged Ce as well, he can probably read the rest.

The lozenge mark is not a mark I recognize. It is not a standard Japanese mark, so the pendant could also be Korean, or even Chinese.

KSW and Simona Buhus like this.
  9. Simona Buhus

Brilliant, thank you.

@Ce BCA is this something perhaps you could help me with? Thank you.

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Simona, does your dragon pendant open? Please don't force anything obviously, but in your first close up photo of it, almost seems like there might be a hinge on the right, as a locket would have. I can't really see the side of it, so could be wrong.

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  11. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I'm struggling to read it, pic is a bit small on my screen. Bottom line on the back starts with 号 (number) but not sure what those marks after are supposed to be.

It looks Japanese to me.

12. Simona Buhus

What does it say on the front of the locket? And are the dragons specific to any story?
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

KSW likes this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's the year of the Dragon........you'll do well with it !!

14. Simona Buhus

Nice, thank you!

KSW and komokwa like this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

2 and 7 look like pretty Chinese pieces of glass. Made for Pretty and nothing else. Any already nailed the ring; I've seen that sponge coral used a lot. It's probably coated with something because the natural coral can about be used to file nails. The turquoise leaf is 60s costume. Probably American but beyond that...? The other ring looks like it was made for Pretty. Could be sterling, could be not. If the stones are glued in I'd bet on Not.

16. Simona Buhus

Thank you so much and thank you for clarifying the glass pendants for me, they looked nice, thought why not.
    The ring with blue stones is sterling, bought it as sterling silver but it’s not hallmarked. The stones are not glued in. The shape of that ring is very unusual, hence the curiosity.
    This has been brilliant learning, thank you.

KSW likes this.
  17. Simona Buhus

Yes, the locket opens, and has space for, I presume, two photos. Shall I post a photo of it opened?
    Thank you.

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  18. Simona Buhus

@Any Jewelry, please could you tell me something about the clip on earrings on number 9?
    They look like wood, but I have been wrong in the past, lol, they may be plastic.

KSW likes this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The top is probably plastic. The dangles look added later. Could be anything.

KSW likes this.
  20. Simona Buhus

It’s time to reveal what caught my eye and made me walk in. It was sitting in between some costume jewellery.
    Had a lovely experience, spend some, learned allot, thank you everyone.
    @Any Jewelry @evelyb30 @KSW @komokwa

80DB7118-320C-45C8-B50D-DF919664A49F.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted