Jewelry Lot Find,Possible Tahitian Necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by antiquelover69, Aug 22, 2020.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

I bought out a lot of jewelry in bags and found this beautiful necklace.I thought at first it was metal or glass.I was thinking Tahitian necklace,very heavy,jet black with shining hues almost like a mirror.I've had cultured,freshwater pearls but not like this one.It is so beautiful.I hope someone can see this good in picture.Feel cold and really heavy. SAM_1198.JPG SAM_1197.JPG

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hematite..............?

kyratango, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

From your description as very heavy & shiny like a mirror, they do sound quite a bit like hematite, although 'jet black' doesn't fit. All the hematite I've ever seen was a steely grey. If these really were fine pearls, they would not have been strung without knots between, even on a strand that was to sell for making jewellery, not finished in itself. Have you performed the tooth test? Glass artificial pearls can be very heavy.

4. antiquelover69

No,I didn't try the tooth test because I was reading about them and found out the tooth test doesn't really work on Tahitian pearls.So I'm really confused.I was reading they are really heavy.I have hematite necklace and this one is not like my hematite necklace.

Bronwen and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They don't look like pearls, and they are not individually knotted, which is what I would expect with Tahitian pearls.
    I think it could be hematite, like komo said. Hematite is grey, sometimes near black, and it is heavy. It is a lovely necklace, it has a mysterious look.
    It does, but you have to really concentrate on the feeling. The particles of the nacre of Tahitian pearls are much closer together, so they don't feel as gritty as lighter coloured pearls. It feels much more subtle, but you can feel it.
    The best way to test pearls is to rub the pearl horizontally along the front of your teeth. Never along the edge, that could even damage them.:eek:

So people, this photo just means someone is trying to eat the pearls, not test them.:playful:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Sometimes to be sure I have to compare back & forth between the material I'm testing & artificial material with the same appearance. Coral, for example, can be very fine grained, but teeth still feel a bit of drag compared with fake. Pearls also vary in degree of grittiness.

kyratango and antiquelover69 like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Haemetite also feels ice cold then rapidly warms as you wear it.

kyratango, antiquelover69 and Bronwen like this.
  9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Are the beads magnetic?

kyratango, antiquelover69 and Bronwen like this.
  10. antiquelover69

No they are not magnetic,I tried that too

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Natural hematite can be a very little magnetic,the man made hematite is magnetic.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  12. antiquelover69

I have come across many pearl necklaces when buying storage,attics,and jewelry in lots.I have also come across what I believe is coral,jade,but trying hard to learn about some gemstones

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That isn't a necklace. From what I can see it's a string of beads waiting to be made into a necklace. I'd look carefully at the bead holes and see if they're cut or molded. Between the weight and color I'd be wondering if they were glass.

Draft saved Draft deleted