Jewelry makers ID help x2 Dichroic glass & brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by J Dagger, Oct 26, 2022.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Two things that came in a bag lot at estate sale. There’s some other interesting things in the bag I’ll need an assist on but these two are marked to start. I’ve never seen a tag like this on dichroic glass but I guess maybe it’s a mass produced line? The brooch is interesting. I can’t tell if it’s supposed to be a Peruvian piece, archaic Chinese, neither, or what?

Glass piece looks like RD, brass piece looks like S_M. SLM? SUM? SWM? Weight of piece and c clasp would seem to indicate brooch is fairly old. 30’s-50’s?

Excuse the poor photos plz. Dark is coming quicker and I was feeling lazy.

edit: brooch upside down I think.
    E5C5B891-DDB0-4446-BAA2-AC6B7306EAD1.jpeg 1E93617F-1602-4B61-B03A-201A02010687.jpeg 40C4C69F-4CE8-4CD3-88A9-035CF7A5F9C3.jpeg B45A1CC5-997E-462E-B26A-746BD3CACCF6.jpeg 8E2C919D-089D-4D60-8484-99C44EF318CB.jpeg C2A7C166-D02C-4E3C-AE2D-8E31A088128C.jpeg

komokwa likes this.
  2. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

First one is Premier Designs (the crown on top of the wreath).

Capture.JPG

The second mark looks like "St.M" to me (as in St. M or Saint M). I don't recognize the mark, but I'll snoop around for it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    J Dagger and komokwa like this.
  3. J Dagger

Oooh thanks!! P was in my backup guesses but I must have forgotten to search that variation.

4. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

I was thinking perhaps Stella McCartney for the pin but can’t find anything to corroborate that

J Dagger likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

From the shape I would say the brooch is a shawl pin. Don't think they've made these in Stella McCartney's lifetime.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The brooch is one of those ancient and museum replica jobs. Saint something rather than Stella. CAn't for the life of me remember who it is.

J Dagger and tie.dye.cat like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Probably inspired by, rather than a replica. The shape is that of an early Medieval European fibula.

https://smarthistory.org/fibulae/

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
  8. Ownedbybear

Yup, bad terminology on my part! Interesting that it has a "19th C" clasp. Has to be based on something.

J Dagger and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Yeah, the only search result that I came up with was from an UK Etsy store for a brooch with the St.M mark that they thought was possibly a museum replica. Unfortunately, the item's page wasn't cached, so I couldn't see the full description and picture of the mark.

Having a clear mark but not being able to find its source is more frustrating to me than having a mark that is indecipherable. Like, how could there not be anyyyy other jewelry out there with the same mark?!? LOL, sorry, small rant over.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    J Dagger, Lucille.b and komokwa like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

geez , and here I was thinking it looks like a door handle !! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::eek:

J Dagger and tie.dye.cat like this.
  11. Aznathalie

Aznathalie Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Thor's hammer.

J Dagger likes this.
  12. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

It’s just what came to mind. Wasn’t even aware that Stella made jewelry at the time I posted.

J Dagger and Bronwen like this.
  13. J Dagger

Thanks for all the great replies guys. For whatever reason the site stopped giving me alerts that more replies had come in so just seeing them now after I came to bump the post hoping for eyes on this piece. It does look like St M. A museum type replica makes sense. It is odd that there would be no reference to the mark anywhere.

komokwa likes this.
  14. J Dagger

Could literally be used as a drawer pull if you took the pin off!

komokwa likes this.
  15. J Dagger

It doesn’t look altogether unlike it by any means. Some definite similarities!

16. J Dagger

Ancient and medieval jewelry is so unbelievably cool!

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I love it, it is often stunning, and so perfectly detailed.:happy:

J Dagger likes this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Especially when you think it was all done with very simple hand tools.

Any Jewelry and J Dagger like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted