Featured Jewish? Silver Cannetille Ring with Star of David

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, May 25, 2020.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I found this ring a while back in a jewelry lot. It is hallmarked on the back, but the hallmark is too tiny for me to make out even with my loupe. The star of david makes me think it is Jewish. It's quite an interesting piece.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Very attractive ring. I'm waiting to see whether Any Jewelry tells you it's Yemeni Jewish, my first thought based on other posts we've had. Can you describe the mark at all?

3. Barn Owl

Yeah, the cannetille made me think it might be Yemeni too.

It sort of looks like this, with the curved upper edge representing the edge of the ring's band. The numbers almost look like 770, but I can't even tell if they're numbers or characters. The 0 isn't complete, if it is even a zero. since it is cut off by the edge of the band.

upload_2020-5-25_14-54-9.png

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The part that looks like 770 could be 665 in Eastern Arabic system of writing numerals. WAG.

scoutshouse, i need help and Barn Owl like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Love the ring, Barn. Not Yemeni Jewish, but much more rare, Bulgarian Jewish.:happy::happy::happy:

It is a Bulgarian crown ring, originally a Byzantine type ring, which is still made and worn in Bulgaria. I have no doubt yours is Jewish, and it is the first Jewish Bulgarian crown ring I have ever seen.
    It doesn't seem to have great age, I would guess second half of the 20th century. There is still a Jewish community in Bulgaria, with functioning synagogues.
    I guess 770 is either the fineness, or a maker's code.

Some non-Jewish Bulgarian crown rings I used to have, so you get an idea:

upload_2020-5-26_13-47-44.jpeg
    upload_2020-5-26_13-48-8.jpeg

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

This is one of the functioning synagogues, in the capital Sofia. I always love that Moorish style:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  7. Barn Owl

Thank you so much, AJ! I am thrilled to learn what it is. I don't have any Bulgarian jewelry, so I am happy to now have a piece to add to my collection, and am even happier that it is Jewish. My Judaica collection is quite small, but I hope to add more with time.

On the topic of Jewish rings, I was wondering if you could offer your expertise on another ring. It's not silver, no hallmarks, but it looks a little like a Jewish wedding ring you described in another post back in 2017:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    upload_2020-5-27_3-20-52.png

Bronwen likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it does have the look of a house wedding ring......

upload_2020-5-27_17-26-18.jpeg

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted