Jim Dine Serigraph?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Spudnik, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Spudnik

Spudnik Active Member

I think this is a serigraph signed by Jim Dine entitled 8 hearts. I've seen various versions of this on the internet with widely varying valuations.

Do you think this is a serigraph? I've included closeups to help. 20210129_114858.jpg 20210129_114906.jpg 20210129_114934.jpg 20210129_114950.jpg

antidiem and judy like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I do think it's a serigraph, but one pulled on too light a weight of paper, hence the wrinkles as it dried.

i need help likes this.
  3. antidiem

After a quick internet search, the term 'LITHOGRAPH' seems more accurate.

I'm actually of the belief that the 2 are interchangeable, as long as "litho" does not refer to offset printing, but rather, to hand printing.

Perhaps a more knowledgeable art person will know the answer to this, please be patient.

i need help likes this.
  4. Spudnik

Spudnik Active Member

I don't think the wrinkles appeared as it dried, I don't remember those being there when I bought it. The paper is actually pretty thick, and kind of "plasticized". I think if anything the wrinkles may be from temperature variation over time shrinking and/or contracting this paper creating the wrinkles. I think if I took it out of the frame I would easily be able to smooth that out.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  5. antidiem

I think it would need to be wax-backed or adhesive-backed to remove the wrinkles, they've been in place too long. At that, it could ruin the print.

@moreotherstuff , @blooey , may know more about your art print. I do think it was done by Jim Dine and is worth whatever the market will bear. I would not mess around with trying to get those wrinkles out!

i need help likes this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I've seen one of these before, I believe this is an offset litho on textured stock but hard to say definitively from a few pics. Doesn't seem to be a good choice for silkscreen process looking at the design. Silkscreen is better suited to blocks of colour not complex blends.
    Blends and tonal graduation can be achieved using silkscreen of course but that is not the usual choice of process for a design like this with lots of tonal variance.

7. Spudnik

Spudnik Active Member

Thanks blooey. Would more pictures help you determine the printing process?

I'll post some more closeups if that would help.

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

What Blooey said. (And big difference between silkscreen and lithograph)

Titled: Eight Hearts

I'm finding possibly 2 different versions online: one says lithograph, the other says screenprint. The screenprint is a tad larger, but not so much that you wonder if it's how it was measured. (I've found a couple of examples of each online.)

https://www.spellmangallery.com/artists/jim-dine

https://education.uiowa.edu/lindquist-art-collection/eight-hearts

The lithograph is more common, but then I don't really know if there are actually two different versions.

antidiem likes this.
  9. antidiem

Yes there is a big difference between serigraph and silk screen (I got mixed up) apologies.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Serigraph and screen printing are pretty much interchangeable. Lithograph and silk screen are not.

reader and antidiem like this.
  11. reader

reader Well-Known Member

The terms refer to the same process. The term silkscreen is no longer used and is replaced by screen print or serigraph as the screens are no longer silk.

antidiem likes this.
  12. antidiem

And there you have exactly what my muddy brain fog was trying to say. Thank you MOS

13. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Keeping it very simple a litho is made off a plate and a serigraph (screen print) is made by pushing ink through a screen.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    Naturally likes this.
  14. antidiem

I know, reader.

reader likes this.
  15. antidiem

Thank you, reader.

reader likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted