Job lot wonders, Bonded 18 ct gold ARC brooch, orange stone ring etc.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Hello again,
    Hope you all had a good Easter.
    I bought few new lots and was wondering if anyone would like to comment on the age, style.
    1. Is a brooch in what I belive original box, it is hallmarked on the pin Bonded 18 ct gold ARC. It has a C clasp.I searched the internet, did not come out with anything.
    2. Is a bracelet, I cleaned it and the colour come off. Any idea of the style.
    3.Good Loket, not hallmarked, perhaps is not real gold. Any idea of the age, design.
    4. Another gold Loket, not hallmarked, probably not real gold.
    5. A circle and see through glass, searched the internet and come up as photo holder pendant.
    6. A expendable transparent stone ring, hallamrk YR . Could not find anything on this either.
    7. A brooch, probably mother of pearl, very heavy, looks old. Is it really mother of pearl, How old is it?
    8. A gold broken pin brooch with blue stone, no hallmark. I am thinking to test it .
    9. This is my favourite, a white metal brooch with green stones, not hallmarked, however the work looks really good on this. I have a feeling that the pin at the back is not original. Maybe is a costume pice, but it's well done. Where the green stones are hold, the metal is gold colour. Any idea of the age, style?
    10. A round circle with transparent stones, it was completely black at the back, when cleaned it became yellow. I don't know what it is, put presume that it was used as a decoration on a necklace.
    11. Probably mother of pearl hair clip with transparent stones. How old is this? Is it really mother of pearl?
    12. Another one of my favourites, a gold colour ring, extendable, with orange stone, beautiful design, not hallmarked. How old do you think it is? What stone ?
    13. Smiley face with turquoise stones, looks like a white stone or glass, no ideea what it is. Anyone venture to guess?
    14. Another broken brooch, I will have it tested.
    15. A pendant sun like with white stone. It looks handmade. What this pendant represents? How old it is?
    16. A stone, transparent yellowish, looks broken inside, but is smooth outside. I searched and came up with quartz. Also I used my diamond tester on it, and the light go all the way up.
    17. A silver colour ring with green stone, hallmark 515 or SIS... I looked and looked, I could not find this hallmark. Any idea if it's silver or gold? What about the green stone?
    Is there an absolute keeper ( collectabe) in this lot?

Thank you all.

Kind regards,
    Simona
    Screenshot_20210407-083345_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210407-083404_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210407-083423_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210407-083754_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210407-084043_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210407-084054_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210407-084116_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210407-084107_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210407-084128_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210407-084138_Gallery.jpg

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The lockets need testing, many Edwardian and Victorian ones weren't marked.

Number 1 is a very nice late 19th C rolled gold piece with seed pearls and Persian turquoise. The box adds value.

Hair clip is probably celluloid. 5 may well be gold, as may 8. 7 is late nineteenth. Carved MOP, probably done in China.

judy and Simona Buhus like this.
  3. Simona Buhus

Thank you so much, great information. Also, would you recommend some books that I can easily find in the UK ( not soft copies), my US books have not arrived. I would like to gain some more knowledge, I prefer books to internet.
    I was hopefull that the brooch was all gold, am now thinking if I should keep it...
    I will have all yellow metal tested then, better safe than sorry :)
    What about the rings, do they say any story?
    I will probably have the orange stone tested as well.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

4. Ownedbybear

I'd keep the boxed brooch, it's lovely.

On books, I've never really found any that are authoritative sources, to be honest. When you can, go look at the jewellery gallery in the V&A, and visit some higher end antique jewellery places - not to buy, but to absorb. Alfie's Antique Market has several.

Simona Buhus likes this.
  5. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

#2 Bracelet was sold to various organizations to resell as money maker projects. It has matching earrings and neckless - during the 1960s and early '70s. I can't remember who made them.

Simona Buhus likes this.
  6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

No 17 ring I think says STG for Sterling. The green stone could be onyx.

Simona Buhus likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

I think you're right!

8. Simona Buhus

Silly me, I was looking for 515 :)
    I can see now the STG hallmark. Is this a UK hallmark or foreign?
    Thank you .

9. Simona Buhus

@Any Jewelry @KSW
    I wonder if the orange stone ring or the green stone brooch is telling any story.

Thank you.
    Screenshot_20210407-084148_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210407-083804_Gallery.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

6 YR could be Yves Rocher
    0n 9, are the stones glued in or held in with prongs?

Any Jewelry and Simona Buhus like this.
  11. Simona Buhus

Thank you
    I can see prongs, on few transparent stones not long enough, some broken. I tested them with a diamond tester, they are not diamonds. The green stones are set in gold metal.

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The hair clip is probably just plain old pearlized plastic; I don't think it's old enough for celluloid. Test those lockets; a lot of times the Victorian rolled gold or gold-filled will fool you. I wonder if the green and rhinestone pin didn't start life as a dress clip, or got repurposed in the factory or something.

KSW likes this.
  13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

@Simona Buhus
    STG is not a hallmark at all - definitely not a proper UK mark. Not usual in most places where the term 'sterling" is used, but could be Australia.

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've seen American pieces stamped "sterling" early and often, but not with that abbreviation. Usually it's "Ster" instead.

KSW likes this.
  15. Ownedbybear

I've seen it on stuff imported to here, sometimes from Indonesia.

KSW likes this.
  16. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Not that 'STG' doesn't show up as an abbreviation elsewhere (even Tiffany has used it), but pretty sure the #17 ring is New Zealand greenstone (Pounamu)...

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry, Houseful, KSW and 2 others like this.
  17. Simona Buhus

I think you are right about the stone on the ring no 17, there were few things from New Zealand in the lot, definitely Pounamu.
    Thank you

Any Jewelry, Houseful and KSW like this.
  18. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Simona Buhus

Hi,
    Thank you for your reply, I had a good read about chalcedony, very interesting, the name goes all the way back to the Bible.

And yes to your last question, I was born in Romania, grew up and lived in the UK for the last 25 years. Lovely to make your acquaintance, I can only presume that we probably have our origins in common.

I recently found this forum, is my escape :) and I learned allot from the posts here, some amazing people on this forum. I come from a finance background, know nothing about jewellery :) , but I enjoy learning.

Hope to hear from you again, just followed you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

@Simona Buhus

Couldn't agree more, same here ! :shame:

I was born in Romania too, but came to US over 8 years ago.. hope we will talk again ! :):kiss:

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted