Featured Johanson Venus Chairs cleaning advice please!

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by KSW, Jan 27, 2024.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I went to a pop up house clearance yesterday which has an area in the same building for donated furniture and saw these chairs.
    I don’t need chairs or have room for chairs but these yelled at me that I should buy them for the grand sum of £35 the pair. I think they are such a fabulous design!.
    I haven’t even admitted to my OH I’ve bought chairs ………:bag:

Identified as Venus by good old Google Lens.
    My question is about cleaning them. What would you use? I suspect some of the dirt will lift off fairly easily but some marks will be trickier. There are the odd paint splodges and some unidentified marks. I don’t want to strip the patina off them completely, if that’s what it’s called or ruin them by using the wrong product. There are lots of products for cleaning leather sofas etc but I don’t know which to use especially on the tougher marks,
    Any help welcome please.
    Thankyou :)

IMG_3817.jpeg IMG_3818.jpeg IMG_3819.jpeg IMG_3820.jpeg IMG_3808.jpeg

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Try warm soapy water for the paint, use a craft knife to scrape the thick off without touching the leather.

Then a simple leather cleaner like Stardrops or Astonish.

20240127_100830.jpg

3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

johnnycb09, KSW, NewEngland and 5 others like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

"Cleaning Britain Since 1946" - I love that!.

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks Davey, that’s about my price point too!

6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

‘Oh, those old things, I’ve had them for years!’:angelic:
    I think it’s leather.
    Oh, wow, that price :woot:!

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Fantastic find ! Love the shape.Well done you !

KSW and kyratango like this.
  8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

KSW- One of the star finds of the month,congrats ! I've got to go to more House Clearance 'Pop Ups' ! Insane in todays overpicked to the bone planet-wow.

9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou both :kiss:
    I thought they might be special when I saw them as they looked such an iconic design but I rather leapt before I looked so got a bit lucky!
    I was going to sneak them into the house but having researched at even a quarter that price I’ll probably clean them and move them on.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
    kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Member

Leather does best with saddle soap or Murphy’s oil soap. With either, use a well-wrung napped cloth with a pea-sized bit of soap and work into dry lather. Work in small circles to lift dirt, and wipe off with dry towel every minute or so. The leather will be slightly damp but that’s fine. There is no need to rinse, just a good wipe. After the leather is completely dry (24 hours is good) buff the leather vigorously with another dry soft towel.

KSW and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted