Featured John Bieber & the Edelweiss Chest

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by James Conrad, Mar 10, 2020.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

It's called the Angel Oak, located in Charleston SC, and reported to be the oldest living thing east of the Mississippi River, between 500-1500 years old.
    They really don't know how old it is and without taking a core sample (not going to happen) we won't know until it dies.
    Much more impressive in person, very medieval-looking because coastal winds have given it a twisted, gnarly look plus, it's a MASSIVE live oak tree. Worth a visit if in the area.

I don't know, looking a bit desperate to me which isn't a good sign for sales prospects. IMO, they SHOULD have taken the 35k last Oct. and are likely to get less now. That offer was very fair I think.

cxgirl, kyratango, Firemandk and 4 others like this.
  2. James Conrad

A better pic of the tree.
    This ain't no fooling around tree, this is a TREE! tree

Angel Oak, Charleston

angel.jpg

cxgirl, judy, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  3. Venny

Venny New Member

Palatine German is what the PA Dutch dialect grew out of which is very similar to German but with just some dialectal differences.

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Great to see you back and talking about something you are passionate about. Perhaps the right person will find it this time. With only two bids last time, it sounds to me like it was lost in a competition with other pieces of greater interest on that day or the seller didn't market it.

judy and kyratango like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

I wish I had known about it when I was touring Charleston. :(

judy, James Conrad and komokwa like this.
  6. James Conrad

Yep, you missed it, probably not paying attention!:)
    Actually easy to miss, it is not well-publicized. The only reason I know about it is I used to fly down from DC to Charleston in winter to play golf. Driving to the course & several hours early for our tee time and saw a sign, Angel Oak----->.
    Figured a tavern?, plantation?, SOMETHING besides a tree, nope! it was the tree above.
    The next time you go, put it on your list, worth a visit.

7. James Conrad

No, the seller was greedy, was offered $35,000. for the chest and refused the offer.

KikoBlueEyes, judy and Firemandk like this.
  8. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:joyful:better to visit the tree before your tee time than while playing... Unless you get the good bounce to make your ball go back to the fairway;)

cxgirl and judy like this.
  9. James Conrad

Well, trees are usually not the problem on oceanfront courses, it's the wind.
    Sooner or later during your round, the wind will find any weakness in your game and humiliate you.:eek:

kyratango, KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  10. James Conrad

BTW, the angel oak is a "live oak" tree which means it's an "evergreen", it does not shed its leaves the way red/white oak trees do and the wood is harder as well.

kyratango, KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

A most magnificent tree!

TY!

kyratango and James Conrad like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

Okay. So will you please update us on what happens. It will be interesting if he gets a similar offer or not this time.

James Conrad likes this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

I will surely put it on my list. I love seeing interesting trees. This looks like a magnificent one.

James Conrad and judy like this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

I always knew you liked a challenge. Long shots can drop like a sinker, can't they?

kyratango, James Conrad and judy like this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

I always wondered what that meant "live oak" We don't have a lot of big oaks where I live. Moreton Bay Figs grow large though.

09890.jpg

judy and James Conrad like this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

We have good old regular oak trees here, including in my front yard. Deciduous. I wonder if the chest's owner will get real this time, and if the hammer will be even lower.

judy, KikoBlueEyes and James Conrad like this.
  17. James Conrad

Predicts lower, second sales of the same object within 6 months is like a second romance with the same person, almost never works out. We shall see shortly.

18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They had it listed this time as 15-25000, so even the auction house is telling the seller indirectly that they should have taken the higher offer.

judy, kyratango and James Conrad like this.
  19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

unless the wind is directly behind u...:happy:

20. KikoBlueEyes

Then he wouldn't be complaining.

James Conrad and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted